Cold setting?

oldgit

Retro Guru
Where do you stand on this.
I've got a bare metal Claud Butler frame doing nothing, and a soon to be redundant 9 speed 105 groupset.
The frame is about 1970 so 120mm spacing, and the set is 130mm
It could make a okay audax bike?

It depends what tubing ,what bracket shell and how the seat stays are fitted,I personally think 10mm is pushing your luck.If you get it done make sure its on a proper alignment table by somebody who builds frames and understands how tubing will react to being pulled

I've done it that far on a 531 Mixte frame and it is fine. The only problem is 10mm is quite a stretch and it can be some work to get the wheel in. 5-6mm you can normally just pry with your fingers, but for 10mm I had to partially get one side in and use an adjustable spanner on the dropout to get a bit more leverage. Once it's in it's fine and you can move the wheel around quite easily.

I did it to my Dyna-Tech. Threaded rod, two big washers, two nuts.

Slowly wind the nuts out to the new setting. The cold setting is only partial - the spring of the steel does the rest of it. Check that you can get a brake to work with a 700c wheel in the frame before you start.

A frame that old might not index very nicely - cable routing and b/b stiffness are important to avoid ghost shifts.

Latest posts

Back