My '94 Bonty OR - updated 02/06/14

keithb

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello,

This is a thread about my '94 Bonty OR. In May 1994 I was working full time at a bike shop in Coventry and for my 20th Birthday I treated myself to a Bontrager OR with a rigid fork geometry and for a good 8 years it was my racing bike, my commuting bike, my Uni hack and my all round form of transport.

In the early 2000's a lot of the original equipment had started to wear out and as I was earning a proper wage I wanted something more modern with disc mounted brakes, front sus forks etc, so I bought a Scott Elite Racing (with lots of mods). The poor old Bonty ended up in storage in my garage and wasn't touched for nearly 6 years.

How it looked after 6 years of storage (Panaracer Smoke and Dart tyres were perished)
03-1.jpg

01-1.jpg

01-2.jpg

Then in late 2007 I dragged her out of the garage and gave her a full make over with new decals and lots of newer tech (sorry to all the purests...but it gets worse!!;))

IMG_9521.jpg

IMG_9520.jpg

IMG_9519.jpg

For the past 3 years she has been my casual 'going out for a ride with the missus' bike, and never see's the dirty stuff (again sorry to the purests...but I like my Bonty mint all of the time...and to be honest modern MTBs are so much faster off road).

Last year I needed more bike storage space so the Bonty was parked in my attic space. Ever time I went up there to get something I felt sad to see my pride and joy parked out of sight and generally feeling unloved.

One snowy December 2010 afternoon when I was knocking out some time on my indoor rollers I decided that I didn't want to ride my Carbon Road bike on rollers anymore (far to easy), so I thought I'd get a cheapo flat bar road bike instead. So I looked about and then realised I had no space for another bike (is 7 to many?) and I had a massive brain fart!!! Why don't I run the Bonty on my rollers, that way it gets used, I don't nail my road bike, and I save money by not buying another bike.

Well one thing led to another and this happened...
IMG_0848.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0855.jpg

IMG_0857.jpg

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg

To hard core retro fans the above is probably an abomination...but its my bike and always will be, so I can guarantee at some point it'll end looking like something else again! :D

Thanks for your time and be kind with your comments (I'm new and all that! ;)).

Keith

P.S. Huge thanks to Gil for the fresh decals. :)

Hello and Welcome :)

Great little read and it's cool to see that it's been with you all these years. I own an OR myself and they're great to ride, even though mine's a bit small for me TBH...

It looks best in it's original build to me...beware, the longer you hang around on here the more you'll turn to the dark side of retro :twisted:

Great bike :)

This is what´s cool with old bikes that you don´t want to get rid of.
I really like what you´ve done with it :)
What wheels do you have on? Is it 650B?
Pretty cool having a semi-roadbike.

Jan

i have to say i think its great to see you using your bike and not looking at it. hope it brings you mucho happiness to just get out and ride.. good work fella.. :D

Thanks for the comments guys. I do love it in its new road guise, and I would dearly LOVE a Bonty Roadlite. :)

For the Spring I reckon I'll fit it with a pair of Halo Twin Rail Couriers in white :D

Bonty98 - The wheels are 700cc FSA RD60's. :)

What are the brakes? i mean its ment to run on 26inch wheels rim brakes, but you have managed to convert it to run 700c with rim brakes. where did you get the converted v brake. cheers

Back