Sintesi Hale-Bopp - 1997

KevD

Retrobike Rider
Well it seems I've acquired FOC from my mate Jed, this frame he also had given.

1997 Hale Bopp came with XT-RC as OE equipment from what I gather, and thats about it.

Frame seems quite light, I needed to build something a little more capable as I want to do some longer races like the IoM End-2-End.

Bought some disk-ready wheels for £50; £50 for some Judy 4's, Hayes Sole front brake, another front wheel; and a headset for £8.

I also raided my mates sheds for

Front and rear old school HOPE brakes, needing attention/spares but are no longer supported.

Orange bars and stem (but then found a short stem at a different mates house).

X-Lite Super Stubbies

STX XC front mech (thats too big @ 34.9) and shifter

XT cranks - M737

XT Rear Mech - M750

- -

I had the exact same frame, I built it up as a road going mountain bike (hate road bikes) was sweet only weighed 23lbs.

Yeah, the frame seems light, but I'm mainly aiming for something reliable and able to take a little more abuse than what I have.

Need to move this project to be finished in the next month, ready for the clatterer challenge I've entered.

I'm not bothered about the period of the parts, I'd even fit 2011 items if they were the right price and requirement. I'm leaning towards buying a new gearset for the reliability - X7 or XT or something, thinking more money spent now then less to think about during the year when I want to race it!

edit

trxrincon":16u3at80 said:
I had the exact same frame, I built it up as a road going mountain bike (hate road bikes) was sweet only weighed 23lbs.
Found some info

Sintesi Hale Bopp frame, Z5 forks, B4 brakes
Price: £495
In short:
7005 aluminium TIG welded frame weighs 4.36 lbs
Marzocchi Z5 forks
SilverFormula B4 hydraulic discs front and rear

So frame weighs under 2kg which isn't feather-light but is still OK

Kev Duckworth":2j2xhinl said:
I'm not bothered about the period of the parts, I'd even fit 2011 items if they were the right price and requirement. I'm leaning towards buying a new gearset for the reliability - X7 or XT or something, thinking more money spent now then less to think about during the year when I want to race it!

I managed to sell some of my racing car parts (anybody need a 6.0L 500 BHP race V8 for £5500?) so have splashed out and ordered X9 front/rear mech, cassette, chain and shifters all new 9 speed. Will have retro HOPE BB and chainrings though, and retro HOPE brakes, but modern fast shifting gears should hopefully make a good all round bike for my needs :) I'm still aiming for a budget build, looking like it will owe me £400 when complete.

The XT Mech has gone on the Kona with a new hanger after the other weeks mech/hanger failure/write-off.

looks a nice bike, did you get your entry in for iom end2end as i know its full now only took 41 hours. Got mine in quick lol

f1fan111":2pxc3him said:
looks a nice bike, did you get your entry in for iom end2end as i know its full now only took 41 hours. Got mine in quick lol
Shit, no I just thought sometime early this month would be fine!

Kev Duckworth":3jbkagdz said:
f1fan111":3jbkagdz said:
Shit, no I just thought sometime early this month would be fine!

Entered now there's ~1452/1700 entries taken now, need to sort time off work and travel/accom now :twisted:

Attachments

• isleofmann.JPG
    isleofmann.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 5,959
glad you got your entry in, just read on the manxmtb forum that they had extended the entries, i got mine in at 1:30am on 1st feb and already 130 entries then!!

Back