2001 Kona Cinder Cone - My 2011 XC Build

ok cool, must admit only ridden em on road. crc have some amazing deals on tyres at the mo. racing ralphs at £13 each.....yeas please :)

Spec:

Frame: 2001 Kona Cinder Cone butted aluminium, canti mounts removed and frame stripped and hand polished
Forks: Fox F80 RL
Headset: FSA Intellaset (aheadset)
Stem: Exotic 90mm o/s
Handlebar: Truvativ Stylo Race Flat Bars 2009 o/s, 600mm wide
Seatpost: No-name
Seat: Specialized BG
Gear levers: Shimano Deore 9
Brakes: Avid Elixir 5 - White. 160mm discs front and rear.
Chainset: Shimano Deore Hollowtech 2
Front Mech: Shimano XTR
Rear Mech: Shimano SLX Shadow
Chain: SRAM PC951 with powerlink
Wheels: Superstar Subzero XC/AM (borrowed from my Enduro)

I'd go for something with a bit more colour maybe.

If you look at Dendy 's kili in the <1997 bike section he has a silver (paint) frame with green decals and that looks brilliant.

here ya go....

001-9.jpg

Had a great ride round Whinlatter on the Cinder Cone this morning. Got out early so I had the trails to myself. Found the bike really stiff and certainly hammers along. Less forgiving than the Enduro, but then again there's no rear suspension and the front had 60mm less travel. I do like it though. Quite tempted to swop the XT bits across from the Enduro now too!

22012011461.jpg

22012011462.jpg

Funky decals (above) have landed, thanks again jamabikes :)

Put the Deore chainset on my Dad's bike, so going to look for an SLX or XT one for the Cinder Cone.

Just waiting on a set of wheels landing now, so it doesn't have to share with my Enduro.

Turned out nice, Earl - I like that!
Continental Race Kings are ace!! Depending what the soil/terrain is like in Cumbria of course. They work great in my neck of the woods - soft, compliant and a fast rolling tread pattern that works well in all but deep clay soils and mud. Weight is good too, even on the £14.99 cooking version. I really rate them, which is odd since I've loathed every other Conti I've ever ridden!

Back