Overbury's "The Riddler"

I love the original Overburys forks as seen on LGF's fine example (and others) BUT finding an original pair without a frame would be very difficult.

Perhaps you could get Argos to build you a new fork to the old spec? I might even be able to come out of retirement and make a set...
Ceeway still sell the Everest C199 Unicrown fork crown and the Columbus (probably SCRRK16U5T Niva OR) blades. Any UK framebuilder will have an account, or ask Peter nicely and he'll take a credit card...

The 28.6mm threaded steerer is harder, though. Unthreaded is no problem, but might have to find a die to cut the thread, or find a threaded Pace or Bontrager steerer around the right length, just needs to be 1 125" OD all the way along, no flaring at the bottom.

Crown: http://www.framebuilding.com/NEWPARTSPA ... Crowns.htm
Blades: http://www.framebuilding.com/Forks.htm

All the best,

danson67":3bgw2p3i said:
Perhaps you could get Argos to build you a new fork to the old spec? I might even be able to come out of retirement and make a set...
Ceeway still sell the Everest C199 Unicrown fork crown and the Columbus (probably SCRRK16U5T Niva OR) blades. Any UK framebuilder will have an account, or ask Peter nicely and he'll take a credit card...

The 28.6mm threaded steerer is harder, though. Unthreaded is no problem, but might have to find a die to cut the thread, or find a threaded Pace or Bontrager steerer around the right length, just needs to be 1 125" OD all the way along, no flaring at the bottom.

Crown: http://www.framebuilding.com/NEWPARTSPA ... Crowns.htm
Blades: http://www.framebuilding.com/Forks.htm

All the best,

Wow those links are fascinating thanks Dan :D

As for Argos, they could but the price tag is a bit beyond me at the moment. They quote £180 with reynolds 531 tubes. Ironically I just missed some nice IF forks in the FS section for £90. (Even that was beyond me :oops: )

As it stands I think I will stick with the PACE, I am confident that matching custom paint and new decals will look ace. . . . .unless you can build me some beautiful custom forks for less than £50 :LOL: :LOL:

Mr Duke , i think the pace fork is looking good....!!!! British, well made, good performer, and period correct....!!!! :cool:

Thought I would post a quick pic to update you all on my direction with this. There is still A LONG way to go but its looking good so why not. :LOL:

p10107841.jpg

I have been on a bot of a buying frenzy! Most of the parts come from the 96-98 era I think or at least look like they should.

Parts you can see so far:

Answer Hyperlites
Avid sd2L levers
T-bone stem
Logic headset
rc30 forks
Middleburn cranks (arms to be striped and polished)
dura ace rear mech
m950 front mech
control tech seat post
Fizik gobi (to be replaced by flite)
odyssey ti bolt
Mavic Crossland wheels 26 and 28h (rear needs a new spoke)
IRC mythos tyres

Also on the way are some nice Avid arch rival 40 v-brakes, and not fitted yet (as I dont have the clamps) are some bar end shifters for thumbies.

Although I am more than happy with the forks I have found some fillet brazed ones, but I may need some luck to get them. Watch this space.

I am thinking that I will either eventually go for a control tech stem or Tioga prestige seat post to match one or the other that I have already. Other small parts to be considered are a lighter bb (113 axle 68 shell), grips, cable colour, qr's, and a couple of silver elite bottle cages.

I will also be investing in a closer ratio cassette, probably 12-26 sram version, 2 larger rings at the front, Maybe 34-46 or similar, and a decent sram chain.

Oh. . . .and of course some sort of paint :LOL:

As it is this is weighing a hair over 20lb.

p1010782z.jpg

Let me know what you think, good or bad, it all helps :D

I wanted to show off the final ish spec before I test ride, strip, and send for paint etc.

Frame: Overburys, completely fillet brazed, u/k model but possibly custom build

Fork: PACE RC30 1" threaded

Headset: Ritchey Logic
Stem: Control Tech 1" quill
Handlebar: Answer Hyperlite
Grips: ODI Attack
Barends: none

Brakes: Avid Arch Rival 40, ti pivot bolts
Brake Pads: Clarks
Brake Cables: Goodridge
Cantilever cable hangers: N/A
Brake Levers: Avid SD2L

Shifters: Shimano Ultegra Barend shifters, SJS converters
Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR M950, TP TS
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace 7700
Derailleur Cables: Goodridge
Cassette: SRAM PG850 12-26
Chain: Clarks
Cranks: Middleburn RS7
Crank Bolts: SRP Alloy
Chainrings: Blackspire 46, 36
Chainring bolts: SRP Alloy
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN71 68mm shell 113mm axle
Pedals: Shimano

Hub Skewers: X-Lite Tech 9
Rims: Mavic Crossland
Hubs: Mavic Crossland 26 and 28 hole
Nipples: Mavic Crossland
Spokes: Mavic Crossland
Tyres: IRC Mythos
Tubes: Ritchey lightweight

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite
Seatpost: Control Tech
Seatpost Binder: Campagnolo

Weight: 22.5lb

I am dead happy with the weight, lighter than my Smokestone but the wheels do help with that.

I have looked to keep everything period and most things are from around 1996-1999. The brakes are the latest and ironically the forks (biggest contention for me!) are the earliest!

Here are a few pictures as it stands now.

p1010808x.jpg

p1010809yq.jpg

p1010811r.jpg

p1010812z.jpg

p1010813y.jpg

Still a long "to do" list as you can see from the state of some of the parts. I have bought everything on a budget so a few things are in need of TLC.

The cranks need the black ano striping, they will then be polished.

The levers need the lacquer striping, they will also then be polished.

I also need some sort of 1" bung for the stem and the rear wheel has a broken spoke. The flite is pretty ropey and if it doesnt polish well I would like a green one.

I will have to see how I get on with the gear ratio, the 46t is BIG so may need smaller, and I may need to add a link or 2 to the chain. I have never ran a road mech before so it is a bit trial and error.

The paint has come down to x2 options although it will be green and black with white decals courtesy if Gil.

1. My preferred option but expensive,

overburysestay.jpg

2. The classic Overbury's fade and more cost effective (LGF pic hope thats OK),

8spdsandarider182.jpg

So what do people think??? Any ideas on what people may change are appreciated along with opinions on the paint. (for reference I reckon the top one would be about £50-£100 more.)

sweet

, i like the build spec, and i really like the rear mech too.....!!!!

Also been a long term fan of the pace fork... :D

I like both paint options, lgfs, paint fade is classic.
The first option, i really like, and although perhaps a little more expensive, good paint will last a long time, and for that little extra, its worth doing, you will have it and enjoy it for a long time, so why not.

its your choice bud, either is cool.

But my vote firmly rests on the "RIDDLER"........, just cool... :cool:

Really like this bike!!! :cool: Looks like its going to be a blast to ride.

Gotta go with the riddler paint job - I think you'll wish you did if you don't... ;)

Re: sweet

sinnerman":3tsnyzjj said:
But my vote firmly rests on the "RIDDLER"........, just cool... :cool:

Dang, giving it a nickname makes it even harder! Cool name though! :LOL:

Looking good, really like your choice of parts.

Not sure on paint, I can't really picture either scheme with the RC30's. Although I'm sure either would look good.

beagle":3h3c5uiu said:
Looking good, really like your choice of parts.

Not sure on paint, I can't really picture either scheme with the RC30's. Although I'm sure either would look good.

Cheers Beagle. Regardless of the paint chosen the forks will be matched in some way.

They are rough as they are so need work anyway.

If "The Riddler" is a goer same scheme applies. The crown though would either be polished or anodised black but I am having trouble finding anodisers in Bristol who do small orders. Maybe it could be painted, dont know.

If I went with the fade scheme the lowers would either be all black or green faded to black. Same crown as above.

White PACE decals on the legs for both.

Back