• bushpig's 1988 Cunningham Racer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • garethl's Pinarello

• hollister's Bontrager

• Total voters
superstu":215o7l8g said:
I voted for the Tufftrax. Reminds me of humble beginnings of the mountain bike beginnings. I know it wont appeal to loads because it lacks the perceived wow factor of some ofthe higher end bikes from bitd but for me its understated beauty makes it worthy of a vote.

Only two votes including mine...guessing the other one was from Coomber :D

i know it brings a lot of memories to some riders but too be honest i have had the bike for a year and only ridden it once. i bought the bike as a donar for my tbg 1990 kona lava dome as its got xt mechs to match the thumb shifters i have for the kona build. also the wheels are past it on kona.
new build should start in the spring

kirbdug :D

I think it is interesting how much splatter/neon are considered synonymous with 80s mtbs

I was thinking more slack angles/biplane forks/and stuff than paint. And please pass on my apologies to your bike :)

MikeD":354rrt21 said:
I think it is interesting how much splatter/neon are considered synonymous with 80s mtbs

I was thinking more slack angles/biplane forks/and stuff than paint. And please pass on my apologies to your bike :)

I don't really follow then. The Fisher doesn't have a biplane. Do you know what the relative geometries of the two bikes are? For the record, the Explosif is probably one of the more agressive geo's of the bikes in this BOTM and is as aggressive (or more) as any modern HT.

The Fisher doesn't have a biplane.

No, it doesn't. It's pretty laid-back, though. And has other very 80s things like an under-chainstay U-brake and fillet brazing. I was just saying that I don't particularly associate the neon thing with the 80s. And I've never even mentioned the Explosif (which is a spectacular example and might get my vote yet :) )

Something else that strikes me, that I hope is generally uncontroversial - even though this is a special month, that you might expect would lead to a more focussed field than a normal month, it's actually amazingly diverse. Which I think speaks of what a vibrant era this was.

MikeD":nmap4edo said:
The Fisher doesn't have a biplane.

No, it doesn't. It's pretty laid-back, though. And has other very 80s things like an under-chainstay U-brake and fillet brazing. I was just saying that I don't particularly associate the neon thing with the 80s. And I've never even mentioned the Explosif (which is a spectacular example and might get my vote yet :) )

Something else that strikes me, that I hope is generally uncontroversial - even though this is a special month, that you might expect would lead to a more focussed field than a normal month, it's actually amazingly diverse. Which I think speaks of what a vibrant era this was.

The 80s are my fave. The only bikes I have from the 90s are carry overs like the P23, Phoenix, etc.

The Fisher has steeper angles than the Ham for what its worth.

Wow. Doesn't look it. I guess the low-slung frame and straight fork throws the eye off. Every day's a school day, as they say :)

MikeD":1irsmsk6 said:
Wow. Doesn't look it. I guess the low-slung frame and straight fork throws the eye off. Every day's a school day, as they say :)

I hear that. I have been off work and have spent my time with a pile of old bike magazines and a level measuring the bikes at my place. Waiting to ride!

Great Line up!

I love so many of these bikes

GT? Really evocative of GT's BMX origins

Saracens? Not one but two Tuff Trax and the second one looks so fresh

That Claude Butler hits the spot too, proper British metal!

They are all praiseworthy - Every single bike

But I've gone for the Cunningham cos that's the one I gawped at the longest taking all the details

Never seen one before an never really realised stuff like that was being produced in '88

Latest posts

Back