No further weight reduction?

You have loads of scope to get this down to sub 20 if you have the wallet and inclination!

Obvious places have already been mentioned, but wheels etc would make the most difference in the actual ride, as well as the 'lift' test.

Rigid would make a massive difference also, obviously.

Pretty much every part on your bike can be tuned/modified/replaced with much lighter bits etc.

For example, my Litespeed frame shown on the link in my sig is approx a pound lighter than yours, but the overall bike is >7 Ibs lighter in total.

See, this is the trouble with being a weight weenie, I could put rigid carbon forks on it, single speed, one brake and put tyres with naff-all grip and silly wafer-thin inner tubes in, but I won't! I'd buy a titanium unicycle if I was really being obsessive.

Nobby Nics are fragile enough and I've used Maxxis Flyweight tubes before-they're awful. A close-ratio road cassette is a much use as a chocolate fireguard when you've been in the saddle for 4 hours and are confronted with a great big hill. Ditto rigid forks, fine for posting up fancy pics on the forum, hacking down rough trails I'd rather have my 4" travel Fox Forx. Same with single speed, mountain bikes come with lots of gears for a reason! Non-SPD pedals? Yes, perhaps lighter, but I like SPDs....

Fitness-wise, I used to be pretty fit, 3rd at the Brighton Big Dog, 5th 3 years in a row in the Cheddar bike fest team event. I had surgery last year so I'm struggling to get fit again, but it'll come, oh yes.

Addmittedly 36 hole wheels are overkill, but they were £75 the pair so I'm not about to swap them out. The ti bits were all acquired at bargain basement prices, or presents. For Christmas I asked for titanium! :D

I think the bottom line is that the Cider Cone is at the pinnacle of it's development, any further weight reduction will either compromise the usability or cost serious amounts of cash. :roll:

Still, 24.1 lbs isn't bad.... especially considering the whole build cost less than a pair of Fox Float forks retail for new!

SP

I guess I'd go for frame first( I know you want to keep it but its fairly lardy) Can't find a weight for XT cranks rings and BB but I guess they will be on the utilitarian side. Pedals as mentioned

Splatter Paint":19pa75j9 said:
S

Still, 24.1 lbs isn't bad.... especially considering the whole build cost less than a pair of Fox Float forks retail for new!

SP

agree. sounds like you have a good rider built. resist the weight weenie be happy with what you have.
believe me. it's no fun being a weight weenie. I've got it under control now.
Also i've learnt never to trust manufactures claimed weights :x

Latest posts

Back