Lay-back posts

scant":qrahvhve said:
theboy":qrahvhve said:
personally, I prefer to run a shorter stem/layback post as i quite like the snappier handling up front and being a bit more over the rear wheel for descending....

ditto that

Sorry, but do you both sit on the saddle while descending then? I actually prefer the saddle to be further forward for descending, as there's more room to get everything behind it when I'm standing on the pedals.

Laid Back

Never known why, but a layback post regardless of frame or geometry, always feels much more comfortable. I use posts with a fair bit of lay back, so an inline on relatively short rails, puts me two inches further forward. I have short legs, a long back and long arms, so I need a small bike with a long top reach. A too long stem upsets the steering and balance
Incidently this prompts me to start on a more important related topic: frame size! Why Oh Why do folks buy frames far too big? When stood with feet flat on the floor astride the X bar, you should have at least four preferably 5 inches under your legs to the bar. I would suggest if you need a no lay back clamped pin, your frames far too big!!

Anthony":3p4jnavj said:
Sorry, but do you both sit on the saddle while descending then? I actually prefer the saddle to be further forward for descending, as there's more room to get everything behind it when I'm standing on the pedals.

nope, its just the way I ride, I get off the back whilst descending, I generally stand up and honk when ascending, its what feels comfy. I also do both of these extremely slowly.

Seats

I remain seated most of the time, as I am a "spinner" being an ex-roadie, but may take more weight on my legs over the rough stuff and always move off the back on the steep downhill slopes.

wold ranger, although nad clearance figures highly, I buy all my bikes by tt length, as this it what matters when riding.

Then its the fine tune stem and saddle position. Can see why layback would suit some folks, would make sense if your leg/body shape suits it. I just seem so suit a more over pedal position.

Never ridden a bike before buying yet, and have no plans to. Size is pretty easy to get right if you look at the numbers and intended use of bike.

Layback posts with saddle right forward and vice versa though with inline posts - now that is just wrong!!!
:evil:

Latest posts

Back