3 Questions (Disc Drive related)

Yea, I know, but thats the benefit of this site to get the advice of people that have used and abused parts before parting with your hard earned cash! :LOL:

don't worry about finding a NOS wheel - get a used one and you won't worry about damaging it so much. They can be trued - just make sure it's tensioned before you ride it each time.

Loads of fun - especially the noise on quiet night rides. It scares small animals! :LOL:

ameybrook":ad9ccyxe said:
That being said, Rumpfy of MTBR says he's used his for many seasons with no worries.

Oh, now that's meaningful, he can barely ride....ah, you there Rumpf?

Actually, most of them I've seen in person have lasted a reasonable length of time but most of the riders were more poser than hard core. IMHO, this is a part you'll get because it's cool rather than functional. Come to think of it, that describes a whole lot of thing vintage.

Pinguwin

P.S. Rumpfy actually rides, just funning him.

I'm sure I remember an article in MBUK (I think) about some expedition that cycled across Russia using them. They can't be that fragile. (Can they?)

disc

I built one in a tent once (at malvens),trued it in diamond backs team hut
and it lasted for ever,probs going strong,mine is sound slightly out of true but strong as f**k
Works loverly with a hard tail ,cost £200 from jez

rumblerumblerumblerumblerumblerumblerumblerumblerumblerumble ;)

ameybrook":dwpcdwhe said:
I spoke with the wizard of Disc Drives, Bicycle Bob. He said on the older (36-hole) versions that Tomac was thrashing, they limited their life to 15 hours. Thats race hours under Tomac's legs mind you. The 32-hole versions were less than that.

That being said, Rumpfy of MTBR says he's used his for many seasons with no worries.

First one I got was a Sugino. It was roped and never trued up.

Followed by a 'blue' disk that never trued up.

I finally landed a NOS 32h radial laced disk wheel that I had built from scratch. I rode this one for several hundred miles, raced, and 'aired out'.
It would need truing every so often and would always fall just slightly out of true, but hold.
Just recently the tiny nuts that hold the wheel to the hub flange on the inside started coming loose. The wheel gave notice by creaking and groaning and falling way out of true. Had it rebuilt again and I've only got one ride on it since....it's fallen a bit out of true as usual...we'll see how it holds up.

They make for a pretty heavy wheel and side to side flex is excessive. You can flex it to the brake pad when you hammer out of saddle and put enough power to it. They don't stay true and don't last very long...

Seems for every good experience someone has with one of these wheels, there are four bad ones.

All this being said...they're just so f'ing cool I don't care that they're expensive and work like ass.

The sound is the best thing ever. It just makes you ride fast. The attention and double takes they get is pretty fun too.

I don't even want to think about what kind of money I have tied up in mine...but I'll continue to ride them. Can't not.

Back