3 Questions (Disc Drive related)

Pickle

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I've always lusted after Disco's since the legend that is Mr Tomac made them famous, and now that there is a small chance I just may be able to afford one:
1) How much do Tioga Disc Drives go for these days?
2) Where can you get them? (I've never seen one for sale :shock: )
3) Would they suit my RTS?
Thanks for any info guys.

they're alot more expensive over here. Last (unbuilt) one I saw on Ebay US was like $300 or something. Add a hub and rim and you're looking at alot more.

I built mine. It took a whole bottle of wine and a lot of patience, and even afterwards I couldn't figure our how to true it.

ameybrook":1om8n3og said:
they're alot more expensive over here. Last (unbuilt) one I saw on Ebay US was like $300 or something. Add a hub and rim and you're looking at alot more.

Hmmm.
What sort of cost would you be looking at to get one ready built?
What sort of life do they have?

I spoke with the wizard of Disc Drives, Bicycle Bob. He said on the older (36-hole) versions that Tomac was thrashing, they limited their life to 15 hours. Thats race hours under Tomac's legs mind you. The 32-hole versions were less than that.

That being said, Rumpfy of MTBR says he's used his for many seasons with no worries.

To build you'd need a 36-hole rim & hub, a slew of 2.5 and 3mm bolts and nuts, small hands, and alot of patience.

Keep an eye on 'ebay watch' as people do post them up when they find them.

One currently on US ebay - will fetch IRO $400-$450 and you'll need a transatlantic buddy to help you with shipping!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0183889797

I have one on my Yeti and I've ridden it a few times. During the course of the Peaks meet ride it went 5-6mm out of true and then corrected itself :shock:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Blimey! :shock:
I think I'll probably knock the disco idea on the head. I honestly thought they lasted a lot longer than that.
Thanks for the info, I'm glad I asked.

What are the benefits of them then, if they dont last all that long and go out of true easily???
I know they look :cool: and sound great, but (help me out here) they must have at least 1 benefit....??
I need more than just style to justify buying one! :LOL:

GTRTS&AVALANCHE":37db64mt said:
Blimey! :shock:
I think I'll probably knock the disco idea on the head. I honestly thought they lasted a lot longer than that.
Thanks for the info, I'm glad I asked.

hey hey, I'm just sayin' :) I swear, I know alot of people that use them just fine. There is a vast other amout of retro parts a such that last less than 15 hours of hard abuse. Manitou frames, Onza HOs, etc.

Back