Dunkers big bad build thread

I'm still not sure if i'm coming up. Van still in bits, but the bike is getting there. Only cranks, pedals and chain to fit now. Had a weigh last night and its currently 21.1lbs. I guess cranks, chain and pedals will be around 2.5lbs so not too far from my target of 23lbs. Nothing exotic on there either. I'm going to get some Ti and Alloy bolts on there and some lighter tubes and tyres to shove it under my target.
23lbs might be heavy compared to your efforts but for a bike with 21 gears, front and rear suspension and disc brakes is pretty good i think. Whats more it is 100% period correct too.

velomaniac":3rwmnlq1 said:
Getting depressed again, everyone else has a super lightweight wonder bike, I have a gas pipe special and Dyna's being nasty to me..............boo hoo :cry: :cry: :cry:

just point out to him that Ti suffers cold fractures in low temperatures
and is only half the weight of steel
aluminium is a third the weight of steel

Mikee, hows that going to help frm the standpoint of a high tensile steel tubed bike, I'm not giving him ammo for goodness sake !!!!!!!!!!

Plus ZZ, how can I build the Pantera as a weight weenie when you know I sold it to Mikee at Blair Adam, you were there :shock:
Alzheimers................. :roll:

Dr S":2zyb92hp said:
I'm still not sure if i'm coming up. Van still in bits, but the bike is getting there. Only cranks, pedals and chain to fit now. Had a weigh last night and its currently 21.1lbs. I guess cranks, chain and pedals will be around 2.5lbs so not too far from my target of 23lbs. Nothing exotic on there either. I'm going to get some Ti and Alloy bolts on there and some lighter tubes and tyres to shove it under my target.
23lbs might be heavy compared to your efforts but for a bike with 21 gears, front and rear suspension and disc brakes is pretty good i think. Whats more it is 100% period correct too.

Hope you get your van fixed it would be great to see you and that rather spiffing amp!

velomaniac":257mky9s said:
Mikee, hows that going to help frm the standpoint of a high tensile steel tubed bike, I'm not giving him ammo for goodness sake !!!!!!!!!!

Plus ZZ, how can I build the Pantera as a weight weenie when you know I sold it to Mikee at Blair Adam, you were there :shock:

Somebody needs a hug? I'll sort you out at Dunkers ;)

I'm in a quandry over the AMP. Thetford was my first ride on a retrobike in months and after a few hours I was suffering. Those long stems and flat narrow bars gave me such a bad pain in the back of the neck due to having my head tilted so far back that i ended up with a thumping headache for two days.
The AMPs are real race bikes with a really low front end, coupled with the stem (150mm ControlTech) and narrow bar, its even worse than my Yo Eddy.
Last night I fitted a spare no name stem from the spares box with a late 90's Answer riser bar. The stem is around 120mm with rise and the bars are really wide with lots of lovely backsweep. It is so much more confortable and the width will make it very handy when ragging about.....but it looks fecking shocking.

So, should I suffer for the sake of art, or should I ride an ugly bike in comfort?

The period controltech stuff is much lighter too,

That's why I went for a 97 bike with risers, my back just can't live with the head down arse up bike these days, but saying that I would struggle putting risers on the yo it just seems wrong, suppose that's why I fancy a more forgiving rig for general riding. If it is any consolation think how much pain the narrow tire rigid alloy brigade will be in :LOL:

velomaniac":vu0t78m5 said:
Bloody hell, so you did :oops: mikee and a 90's GT? It was only a matter of time.

Si, comfort every time, especially if it's the difference between choosing to ride a bike and not.

Latest posts

Back