Jason McRoy's Salsa ala carte

Any ideas what bars and group it had...

Various. On the cover of the June 1991 MBUK it's RS-1 forks, XT, white Porcs, onZa L-bend bar ends, some sort of red grips, Salsa roller stem. Can't tell what the bars are. It was in the "Works Bikes" bit later on with Mag 21s, I'm sure I've got it here somewhere but it'll take more rummaging :)

Edit: Although the June incarnation is pre-Team MBUK...

Found the article and it's in the August 1992 MBUK. I doesn't give a spec list but I can make out from the pictures:

Rockshox Mag 20's.
Cook Bros black crank.
Grafton canti's.
M735 XT front mech.
XT SPD's.
Nuke Proof front hub.

:cool:

salsa

Thanks for the info. , looking forward to the build.

I will post pics of the bits I have when I get some day light.

I think the article you are on about is already on this site under jez's salsa rebuild thread, it shows black cqp cranks with and egg ring.

But if you look at the photos of jmc racing it looks like a cooks crank with cooks writing in silver.

Any chance you could scan the articles and post them here and email them to me.

cool,shame someone repainted and welded tabs on.

you gonna cut um off?,some pics show,tioga revolver,graftons,onza l bends,no front tyre ;) and you really need an original crud catcher,all the best with this build,i love my jmc tat on my back and imho the mbuk/salsa era was the best,for me

love it :D

decals

Here's the emails I've had from Ross Shafer from salsa regarding the bike and a pic of the decals he sent. What a legend..

They start at the bottom and work up!

Howdy John,

Sorry I don’t have any pics of the period correct graphics….the downtube decals I told you about are probably not actually from the early 90’s but they look the same.

I’m happy to send the badge and the downtube decals to you at no charge. Just send me an address.

Have a nice Christmas and good luck in the New Year,
Ross

Sent: Monday, December 13, 2010 2:09 PM
To: Ross Shafer
Subject: Re: salsa

Thanks Ross

I think your right , my dealings with powder coat have been a hightmare, I will get someone here to paint it.

With regard to the decals how much do you wont for the salsa badge and would you have a picture of the correct era badges of tubing, made in the usa, and head badge that I may be able to get remade, as long as you are happy for me to do so.

cheers Jon

On 13 Dec 2010, at 21:02, Ross Shafer wrote:

Howdy John,

Looks like a basic simple jelly bean job to me…just about any painter should be able to help you out. It’s probably going to be best to have it spray painted instead of powder coated. That will make putting the jelly bean brush strokes on simpler (prep-wise) and should allow the brush strokes to stick better than they would on powder without just the right technique, chemicals, etc.

The only decals I have is one set of Yellow /w black outline downtube decals, some head tube badges and some “made in USA” decals. The downtube decals are from different batches so they may be a bit different material from each other. One of them is in questionable (wrinkled a bit) condition. The head tube and “made in usa” decals are not from the correct era, but will probably suffice.

Happy Holidays,
Ross

Sent: Sunday, December 12, 2010 11:47 PM

Hi Ross

Thanks for the quick reply. I have tried lacering powdercoat before, that must have been a nightmare. Spectrum powder works may be my best option then.
Here is a few pics of the bike as it was originally, the chap I got it off repainted it with stickers for jellybeans!

<image001.jpg>

<image002.jpg>
<image003.jpg>
<image004.jpg>
<image005.jpg>

Thanks for your help

Jon

On 12 Dec 2010, at 22:44, Ross Shafer wrote:

Howdy Jon,

Your bike is a 44 cm Ala Carte, it was part of a batch of 85 frames in that size that was started on 8/1/91. We didn’t start another batch of that size until early 93 (when it changed to a 43cm)…so your frame would’ve been finished sometime between Aug. 91 and about Jan of 93.

I have a few decals left, but they probably aren’t from that exact era. If you have pics of your frame before it was stripped, send ‘em to me (again, if you already did in the past) and I’ll see what I have.

We did all the paint ourselves at Salsa at that time so getting the folks who originally did the paint to do it ain’t gonna happen I’m afraid. If it was a Jelly bean paint job…the base coat was powder coated and the “jelly beans” we’re done using super expensive and environmentally un cool Dupont Imron…it was a real challenge to get the jellybeans to stick well to the powder coat but we had a system that worked well but was very picky.

A pic of the pre stripped bike may help me in figuring out who would be your best bet for a paint job as close as poss. to the original.

I hope this helps.

Happy Holidays,
Ross

Sent: Sunday, December 12, 2010 12:25 PM

Hi Ross

You may remember my email below regarding the MBUK team bike. I bought the bike but have done nothing with it until now. I have been collecting the parts to rebuild it. You would not believe how hard it is to find a salsa stem or rock shox mag 20 forks... but interestingly I have stripped the paint off the bottom to reveal the frame number SM916 and not SM091. It also has ritchey drop outs.

What do you think. The guy who I bought the frame off was a friend of Jason Mcroy and I have had this back up by Michael Bonney who works for orange bikes here in the Uk who also use to ride with Jason.

Also the frame needs repainting, could you recommend a paint shop and would you have any of the original graphics, I am willing to ship anywhere as I believe this is the British icon bike and needs to be restored to the highest standard. I have used spectrum powder works, but would rather used the painters you used originally.

Thanks again

Jon

May need to get these copied and reproduced, will be contacting gil-m hopefully he can do some of his magic.

Attachments

• salsa decals.jpg
    salsa decals.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 3,595
11.jpg

11-1.jpg

35_002.jpg

Back