it must be me. help please.

hesdownagain

Old School Hero
ever get the feeling that everything you touch has a problem. i bought a second hand set of hope m4 brakes i have changed the hoses on them fitted them to the bike bled the rear great...as this is the first time i have done this i'm feeling top of the world. come the bleed the front and i cant get the two hex screws out of the resi.. when i tried to get the hex key i noticed that the inners were shot tried pliers/mole grips different size hex keys trying to tap them in with a hammer to get a grip. no luck.. any tips on ways to do this. thought about a hacksaw cutting two grooves and trying a screwdriver but i don't want to dive in and destroy the thing. any help please..

pictures?

erm cutting a slot could be a good idea but the bolts could be strong so it could take a while
try that first and then drill them if no luck?

This is the Mini type lever, i guess? With two reservoir screws in opposite corners, which take a 2.5 mm hex key? It's a common problem. Use a junior hacksaw, carefully so as not to cut into the top cap - just one cut, and then use a small flat blade screwdriver. They are low torque settings on these and all the ones I've had to do have come out by this method. Replacment screws will be available from Hope. Good luck!

hi. no your memory is ok. they were that damaged it was hard to see even if they were the original pins. sorted now used hacksaw to slot them. just ordered two from CRC. funny the guy who sold them had put a little back paint on them so i would not be able to see they were knackered. any way thanks for the help.. :LOL:

If you've got Torx keys they can sometimes be used to remove knackered allen bolts.
Heads are slightly different diametres so where an allen key won't grip the Torx key will, you may have to give it a gentle tap to get it in.
Should easily remove stuff with low torque settings

Seem to remember other people moaning about Hope reservoir bolts being made of cheese, but the replacements are good...

Also people mistake the torx for allens and round them off, again too easily...

Back