Pennine way record article?

mudcow79

Retro Newbie
Does anyone have or remember an article, possibly in MBR 03/04 about a man from Rawtenstal who broke the existing pennine way cycle record on a cyclocross bike?. My memory of this article's pretty hazy, so you'll have to forgive my vague description. I do recall the fact he'd been on the go for so long he began hallucinating hedgehogs. Mudcow79

mudcow79":1t82m5d3 said:
Does anyone have or remember an article, possibly in MBR 03/04 about a man from Rawtenstal who broke the existing pennine way cycle record on a cyclocross bike?. My memory of this article's pretty hazy, so you'll have to forgive my vague description. I do recall the fact he'd been on the go for so long he began hallucinating hedgehogs. Mudcow79

I remember one article about a guy doing it none stop. I think it was earlier though 89-90ish. I'd stopped reading the mags by 91 so it must have been before that. Would love to see it again.

pennine way cycle record

the original pennine way record was set in 1974 with a total time of 3 days 3 hours 33 minutes with a total riding time of 41 1/2 hours for the 270 miles.
was set using a titanium Speedwell road frame, well 2, as one broke 12 miles from the finish in Kirk Yetholm.
the record was lowered to around 2 1/2 days by john north in 1978 but the total riding time was longer and he had a team of helpers opening all the obsticles for him on the route

it is almost impossible for a new record as it is now unlawful to ride a bike on stretches of the route and could upset the people responsible for the upkeep of the pennine way.

Latest posts

Back