Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:46 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:06 am 

Does anyone have or remember an article, possibly in MBR 03/04 about a man from Rawtenstal who broke the existing pennine way cycle record on a cyclocross bike?. My memory of this article's pretty hazy, so you'll have to forgive my vague description. I do recall the fact he'd been on the go for so long he began hallucinating hedgehogs. Mudcow79

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:07 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

mudcow79 wrote:
Does anyone have or remember an article, possibly in MBR 03/04 about a man from Rawtenstal who broke the existing pennine way cycle record on a cyclocross bike?. My memory of this article's pretty hazy, so you'll have to forgive my vague description. I do recall the fact he'd been on the go for so long he began hallucinating hedgehogs. Mudcow79

I remember one article about a guy doing it none stop. I think it was earlier though 89-90ish. I'd stopped reading the mags by 91 so it must have been before that. Would love to see it again.

Post subject: pennine way cycle record
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:46 pm 
Retro Guru

the original pennine way record was set in 1974 with a total time of 3 days 3 hours 33 minutes with a total riding time of 41 1/2 hours for the 270 miles.
was set using a titanium Speedwell road frame, well 2, as one broke 12 miles from the finish in Kirk Yetholm.
the record was lowered to around 2 1/2 days by john north in 1978 but the total riding time was longer and he had a team of helpers opening all the obsticles for him on the route

it is almost impossible for a new record as it is now unlawful to ride a bike on stretches of the route and could upset the people responsible for the upkeep of the pennine way.