Wanted: Ridgeback Catalogues / Upgrade or Original

Mangomoogle

Retro Newbie
Hi retrobikers!

I seem to be getting into the habit of doing up old ridgeback bicycles. I'm starting to get used to the brand and specs etc.

The thing is, I'd love to be able to identify the bicycles a lot better for original components.

I think the bike that I've just done up for my girlfriend is a 1999-2002 Ridgeback comet (i'm not sure what year). So my first task is trying to find out what the original specs were for this bicycle.

Ridgeback have a great logo history on their about page
http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/about

Unfortunately they only have historical catalogues back to 2011. I'm encountering bikes much older than that.

Does anyone know if there is a person that has the ridgeback catalogues by year, or a way to track them down. I'd find that fascinating thanks!

I quite like the idea of re-installing original specs as long as they aren't faulty design.

Thanks for any opinions or help!

Re:

hi there

youre in luck here mate, i had a post on here in the mtb chat section... topic heading was ridgeback 605 competition series what year...this was posted on sunday june 4th so you can find it there if you trawl back a little... on there is a link from a fellow rb'er which shows a catalogue with decent pics and info on the original specs...

although the catalogue was for older ridgebacks, going back to around 1988,which turned out to be the date for my 605

take a look if you get chance ;) ;)

Re:

Thanks for taking the time out to write out some leads.

I can't seem to find the topic that you mention though, I've searched and flicked back through the pages.

Was it 2017? Or a previous year?

Will be pretty cool to start off with at least one old catalogue. Can only get better from there :)

Re:

Looking forward to seeing that 1991 scan. The 90's Ridgebacks were nicely understated, elegant looking bikes.

I picked up what I believe is a 1991 603GS a few weeks ago. Really heavy - about 16kg, at a guess, and definitely heavier than my recent 650b Avalanche - but when I stripped it down, the frame itself wasn't too bad: 4kg for frame, fork and bottom bracket. That's about the same as the HardRock I'm respraying: not exactly the lightest of frames but certainly not the tank I thought at first. Comfortable geometry too.

The '91 603 isn't butted but, to judge by the catalogues, in later years, Ridgebacks from the 603 upwards shared the same double-butted frame - just with upgraded components as they went up the scale, except for one or two at the top of the range. My guess is that one of those frames, with nice components, would make a great commuter/country lane bike.

Hmmm, perhaps I ought to be posting in the Wanted section . . .

Re: Re:

CassidyAce":2gyao0k1 said:
Looking forward to seeing that 1991 scan. The 90's Ridgebacks were nicely understated, elegant looking bikes.

I picked up what I believe is a 1991 603GS a few weeks ago. Really heavy - about 16kg, at a guess, and definitely heavier than my recent 650b Avalanche - but when I stripped it down, the frame itself wasn't too bad: 4kg for frame, fork and bottom bracket. That's about the same as the HardRock I'm respraying: not exactly the lightest of frames but certainly not the tank I thought at first. Comfortable geometry too.

The '91 603 isn't butted but, to judge by the catalogues, in later years, Ridgebacks from the 603 upwards shared the same double-butted frame - just with upgraded components as they went up the scale, except for one or two at the top of the range. My guess is that one of those frames, with nice components, would make a great commuter/country lane bike.

Hmmm, perhaps I ought to be posting in the Wanted section . . .

As requested. :D - Scan now up.... Enjoy!
If I find any more Ridgeback Info, I'll update. My MBUK/Mbi/Freewheel selection stops at 1995 though.

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Looking for any pics of the 84/85 531 version and curious to know if they came in other colours beside some green

Back