MBUK & Kona 1997 part 2 - March & April

al-onestare

BoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Part 1 here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=288652

Just a few months later than planned thanks to crummy scanners, here's the next selection of 1996/7 Kona action, the year for Kona's (FACT) ;)

On the cover of the March addition we have Scott Beaumont and a feature about night racing. He's on his Sex 3 again and I've just realised he's running a disc brake at the rear:

XlIgVZ.jpg

uQAfqr.jpg

In the tested section we get a nice little feature on a bike close to my heart (and in the stable); the A'ha. Nice to see it sporting the logo's on the cranks which I don't think made it to the production line but I could be wrong. Nice also to see if being using!

hYcKHD.jpg

Moving into April and we have a shot from the previous summer / autumn because it's the mighty 96 Explosif getting some proper big air.

TTzFVq.jpg

In addition, there's the almost 2 page spread on the beast that is the King Kahuna. This ad crops up in a number of editions this year.

kK2YdW.jpg

Interesting, and not through cooincidence, the Voodoo ad's are usually within 1 - 2 pages of Kona's. Conspiracy! ;)

379cHD.jpg

In the May to June special, get ready for your Kula fix - they are everywhere!

I love that 'street riding' spread, I remember that well from back in the day, we all stuck stickers on our bikes and a few of the lads I used to ride with ran coloured sachs wavey shifters! ah those were the days!

Standard upgrades from 1996-97 shop bought bikes in my neck of the woods were:

coloured grips (onza ules were a popular choice) YELLOW!
coloured sachs wavey shifters
hutchinson coyote DH tyres
DMR V8 pedals - to young to afford V12s :LOL:
M600 or M600 (DX) V brakes
Lizard skins for chainstay and headset
rear mech upgrade - most of us had acera/alivio so a black LX was a must ;)
and of course, Club Roost 'GO FAST' DH bars - the more the colours did not suit your bike the better

Then several MBUK free stickers or Animal stickers plastered over the frame! :LOL: :roll: :facepalm:

Back