Halfords /Carrera Catalogue 1989/90 Please? Carrera Krakatoa

Bobspoons

Dirt Disciple
Hi There,
First post, eek. Couldnt find an intro thread sorry.

Would anyone have access to the halfords / Carrera Catalogue 1989 please? (Or possibly 1990?)

My bike is the Carrera Krakatoa owned from new in 1989 and in pretty good condition. I used to have the catalogue pages for it and wish I hadnt lost them over the years, would love if anyone has access to a copy please.

I have found a few tech specs on it from the kindly posted advert-page for carreras at the time, which is hosted elsewhere on this forum.
The catalogue would be great though.

There was also a review of the bike in mbuk (Nov 1989 I think) and It was featured in their top 10 bikes of 89 (Dec mbuk I think).

Other than cables, innertubes and pedals (original plastics smashed) everything on the bike is still original from 1989 (yes even tyres, should change those due to rubber degradation as there are some split lines along the walls). All good condition and runs great.

Thanks for reading :)
Alex ( Bobspoons )

Re: Halfords / Carrera Catalogue 1989 Please? Carrera Krakatoa

I don't have the catalogue but I do have the MBUK review and top ten article if that's any use to you?

Wow yes that would be simply fantastic yes thank you very very much.
Would you be able to scan and post here, or maybe email? Whatever is best for you.
Im even happy to paypal you a contribution for your time if youd accept it.
Very much appreciated!

I can scan and post, and I'll email you too if you pm me your email address. No contribution required :) I'll sort it out tomorrow:)

PM dropped to doctorstewie with much thanks :)

Thanks to Doctorstewie for the following:

Awesome stuff thanks.

So if anyone out there has the catalogue, or just the Krakatoa page, then please do drop me a line in this thread or PM as the page would be very very much appreciated.
Thanks!! Alex

Alex, this has made me remember something:
I am not sure ( though I could be and probably am, wrong) that there WAS an 89 catalogue. I remember the 1990/91 brochure: Quattro Comp, Kathmandu, Waikaloa, Krakatoa, yellow step through frame equivalent of Krakatoa who's name escapes me, A similarly nomenclaturely challenged hybrid with similar paint to the Quattro Comp, Shimano Nexus gruppo and a built in computer on the stem and a couple of road bikes, one of which was called the Epic. ( A 531 and a 501 ) I can remember being confused when someone bought in a Krakatoa for repair and it didn't have 300 LX on it like the ones wew had in the shop :) But I can't remember a brochure for 89. I am fairly sure there was one ( they even had an Apollo Brochure, I'd love to see one of them..for the lols obviously ) but the only one I saw was the 1990 ish one. All the Carrera bumf after that year was much less lavish, the odd small foldover leaflet if I recall correctly. And yeah if anyone has one, I'd love to see it too:)

Hmm, well I gor my Krakatoa for Xmas from my parents in December following the articles you gave me abive, and I got the bike early not on Xmas day.
I also got the catalogue the same time, either slightly before (when looking forward to it) or actually with the bike mid-december.

I only assume it was 1989 as that was the year I got it, it could have been a 1990 catalogue available at the end of 1989

I do know for certain the catalogue had the exact original 1989 krakatoa in it. Not one of the later variants.

I owned this catalogue myself from that December 1989 up until a house clear-out about 7 years ago when a stack of old magazines went.

1989 or 1990 id love a copy of the catalogue. The one I had did have a minimal (1or2) road bike feature, so does sound similar.

Yes, don't forget that there were two versions of the Black splatter Krakatoa - same frame but earlier one had Exage the later one had 300LX. After that it went red and then a silver /red combo in a pattern similar to early Dyna Techs. I strongly feel the first three were the best, and the first two had not just the best looking paintjobs, but the most durable by a long way. ( You also got touch up paint and varnish ) This may well mean that there were two proper brochures. Was it landscape format?

It was landscape format yes.
I also got touchup (black) and varnish.
Mine is the black with yellow splatter in is all exage country components.
The catalogue i had exactly matched the bike i had/have :)

Edit: i faintly remember dreaming over the catalogue, which would imply it was given to my Dad when he placed the order for the bike about two weeks before we picked it up.

Back