Whatever happened to this kestrel?

retrobikeguy

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
I know about the Nitro and the double clamp prototype forks but whatever happened to this baby do you think?

7034Kestrel-Bontrager_SofttailProto.jpg

I think it either snapped or sitting in some ones basement forgotten about.

I guess it wasn't viable to build it like that, it appears to be called the MX-Z, which was the name of their first production too - as you know obviously - so adding 2 to 2 and coming up with 7 I would say it was an early attempt that had no future.

Just seems strange theyve dug out and shown the early MXz, the Nitro and even the MTB EMS tripleclamp fork at shows, but no sign of this 'advanced suspension' design.

I can only think it must have snapped, cant see why :?

RBG

I really like the old Kestrels, but so many things about this frame are utterly wrong.

It reminds me of the story about Ritchey pissing about the geometry on early frames when he got word Sinyard was about to mass market under his nose...

It's almost like they deliberately made an awful frame to see who copied them, in an attempt to bring out the competition from the woodwork...

I can't believe they ever laid that up in any seriousness - they must have been pissing themselves putting each layer down...

BB

Back