Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:37 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: A big thank you.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:43 pm 
Retro Guru

mrkawasaki wrote:

Despite the volume of content created by/dedicated to the more catalogue-build inclined on here (mainly through BoTM), I would imagine they are still in the minority, compared to the more general appreciator/rider type that would perhaps gravitate to RB/Mayhem type events. IMHO it's a great shame that this sort of premium how event didn't start back in the RB heyday and wasn't twinned with the more typical/regular ride-outs etc that began back then - we could have perhaps built a more unified and longer lasting calendar of activities and avoided all those tedious 'I use mine' vs 'I clean mine' spats.

Any informative debate that ensues is not, I think, to credit a rather poor OP though - although I get Al's enthusiasm and frustration.

Can't disagree.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:09 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I'm not too sure where people get the idea everyone that takes a bike to Icono just buffs them and never rides. Still if you never go, you'll never know.

Also I can see where I went wrong on my first post... the fact that when I use the word fook, I hear 'Scary Spice' saying ooooohh foook, although I think others see and hear F*ck, I can see this is an issue.

I'm glad people are at least talking about it now though.

al.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:38 pm 
Lincs, East and South Yorks Deputy AEC

i loved it last year, well organised, smashing people, bikes and it worked.

this year my van blew up, i got another, it failed its mot and im skint due to repairing it. i'd loved to have grabbed lee and trekked down again and feel shiot for letting him down this year. moneys tight again and im saving for my "unicorn" aswell so went ridding instead

#outsideisfree ;)

however, a little grumpy northern comment, not to be taken as offence but more a gentle nudge.....dont leave it till last minute to confirm location, i know stuff needs organising but some knew, others didnt. the website, here and facebook communication wasnt as great as previous years and i think charging people to look at old bikes will put people off. car shows are hugely hit and miss and mainly attended by the folk showing. personally i feel the town square works better but thats my opinion and maybe opening up the years to the same as retrobike will encourage more, the personal preference of cut off date obviously isnt working....? lots of forum politics and opinions can easily esculate so lets all play nice ;)

toms done a stella job and cant knock him at all and i hope to attend next year

al,i still love ya xxx
tom, keep on trucking its ace

everyone else......keep it dirt side down ;)

carry on

chris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:52 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Where does this fear of not being fancy enough come from? It's not like BOTM. :D

There was no stipulation from Tom that the bikes needed to be original, period correct, catalogue spec or unused NOS garage queens. :roll: The only requirement was that they were within date and presentable, which is fair enough as it's his show (although a few more years leeway, even to 1997 for me would open up the scope a lot, IMO).

I spent most of Saturday washing the mud off and giving my bikes a wipe over with an oily cloth...Many of the bikes were 'barn fresh' or well-used or complete bitsas, and they all had something interesting to look at....and a whole lot of you out there have bikes that fit that bill. :wink:

All the best,

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:02 am 
Old School Grand Master

al wrote:
Right... whilst I've got you here, why the fook did more of you not turn up and support our hobby/sport/obsession?

Calm down dear :wink: If the organiser widens the scope to 1997 then I would be there with 6 in tow.

danson67 wrote:
Where does this fear of not being fancy enough come from? The only requirement was that they were within date and presentable, which is fair enough as it's his show (although a few more years leeway, even to 1997 for me would open up the scope a lot, IMO).

By definition, this is a show, not a museum. Of course, a good mix of patina and polish is welcome. Go to any "show" though and you'll probably see more BOTM contenders than hack bikes. The more top quality or rare machines, the bigger chances of drawing a wider crowd.

There's also the elephant in the room; this is a really niche sport, with a very defined era. It's a small and shrinking audience.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:14 am 
Retro Guru

Big thank you to ~Tom , I did not sell much at all but it was nice to get the rides out for the day as well as newly finished red shred,

I do agree I think it should be pre 97 then I could have bought 3 more to show

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:23 am 
Retro Guru

Would also love to see some guys bring some lower to mid spec stuff as well to show that its affordable to get in to

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:07 pm 
Ain't no party like an S Club party
Ain't no party like an S Club party

Thanks again to everyone who took part in the show this Sunday gone, and the fantastic bikes you brought along.

With a heavy heart, I have made the decision not to put on ICONOCLASSIC : 2018 next year, as I focus instead on my work and my family.

I will be turning off the email servers on Friday this week, and won't be responding to any emails, messages received through this forum, or messages through the Facebook show / event / group pages from Friday 25.08.17 onwards.

Cheers, and big love to everyone who shares my love and obsession with these crazy old bikes of ours.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:12 pm 

understand regarding family etc but its a bit hasty blocking all from retrobike and facebook buddy! dont go!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:20 pm 
Retro Guru

There is a degree of sadness that accompanies this thread ... as it almost seems somewhat emblematic of the conflicting energies that are working so hard to tear this world apart during these 'post-modern' times ...

:cry:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next