Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:38 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:33 pm 
GOLD | PoTM | Rider | rBOTM

Congratulations. Another insulting, divisive thread. Great advert.

Hope that's what you were after.

First post set the tone.

Disappointing.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:53 pm 
Old School Grand Master

The History Man wrote:
Congratulations. Another insulting, divisive thread. Great advert.

Hope that's what you were after.

First post set the tone.

Disappointing.

And all I wanted was your approval.

al. :(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:05 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I started this thread as I was at Warwick yesterday and noticed that there were people missing that I would have thought would have supported such an event.

Whether anyone agrees with me or not is neither here nor there to be honest. I am telling things how I see them, it's the only thing I know.

I will also state again, I have nothing to do with the organising or the running of Icon-o-classic and I'm not on the payroll!! This is a forum and I'm exercising my right to use it as such. If I have overstepped the mark, then the only opinion that counts is Tom's.

Nice to see some of you are still around though... It's like shouting down a well on RB some days!

al.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:15 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

:better type before I talk myself out of replying:

I'm way up here for such an event but wish there were more stuff like icono happening all over the place regularly but, our hobby is too underground.

I'm sure some aftermath pics will soften the blow of a low turn out. Up to a couple of years ago I would attend owt, anywhere but got bored of the faff involved in what is just one day. I stay more local now.

Just one rant of my own though. Who, what folk is icono aimed at? I mean, the first big off putter for me is the fact that most bikes are from a well -healed stock. We, the riders can appreciate them but general folk out for a stroll may not see these bikes and scream..."wow, a rare as hens' teeth yeti with ringle bits". I think the event needs to appeal to a bigger mainstream of cyclists that will sigh....my first bike that from a guy down the street.
The whole rule of clean and loaded with top kit is just daft if you want Joe public to give a damn.

Just me, nobody. Love you all. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:30 pm 
Retro Guru

A good day out.... Thanks to Tom for organising and helping me get the Pace out of the car.

My 3yr old daughter enjoyed it... apologies if she 'photo bombed' any of your pics in the back ground on her balance bike.

Great to talk to a few names on here..... was useful research too for my Marin Pine mountain 'browning suspension' resto..... At one point there were 3 owners together!!

Cheers.

boy"O"boy

Attachments:
marins1.jpg
marins1.jpg [ 172.95 KiB | Viewed 1168 times ]
pinnacle1.jpg
pinnacle1.jpg [ 167.31 KiB | Viewed 1168 times ]
dogsb1.jpg
dogsb1.jpg [ 188.1 KiB | Viewed 1168 times ]
attitude.jpg
attitude.jpg [ 176.85 KiB | Viewed 1168 times ]

Last edited by boy"O"boy on Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:32 pm 
Retro Guru

more pics...

Attachments:
zinn1.jpg
zinn1.jpg [ 207.58 KiB | Viewed 1167 times ]
ridgeback605.jpg
ridgeback605.jpg [ 202.14 KiB | Viewed 1167 times ]
lineup1.jpg
lineup1.jpg [ 207.19 KiB | Viewed 1167 times ]
lineup2.jpg
lineup2.jpg [ 183.9 KiB | Viewed 1167 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:33 pm 
Retro Guru

pics...

Attachments:
trimble1.jpg
trimble1.jpg [ 186.81 KiB | Viewed 1165 times ]
citroensm.jpg
citroensm.jpg [ 110.07 KiB | Viewed 1165 times ]
e-rider.jpg
e-rider.jpg [ 117.71 KiB | Viewed 1165 times ]

Post subject: Re: A big thank you.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:34 pm 

I get your frustration. I just think you went well ott in the way you expressed it.

Mayhem is more my style. Admire, ride, swap, talk, sleep, drink, fall off, get muddy, drink again, admire.......

Some shiny, some ratty, some bonkers. All ridden with gay abandon. A little more immersive.

60 odd other retrobikers maybe thought similar with varying permutations of the above.

How many attended?

Edit: that last pic is priceless! Great shades, great pose. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:34 pm 
North Wales Deputy AEC
North Wales Deputy AEC

If I wasn't playing in a bike polo tournament last Saturday and Sunday I would have gone for sure - mainly to support Tom and his efforts to keep that branch of retrobiking going. He knows it's not especially my kinda branch as we've chatted amiably about it before, however delicious the bikes may be to look at. However, anyone that goes to such lengths to provide real world activities for this website's audience deserves healthy support - if only there were a few more such inspired to put something back other than repeatedly show off their acquisitions/skills/know how in cyberspace.

Despite the volume of content created by/dedicated to the more catalogue-build inclined on here (mainly through BoTM), I would imagine they are still in the minority, compared to the more general appreciator/rider type that would perhaps gravitate to RB/Mayhem type events. IMHO it's a great shame that this sort of premium how event didn't start back in the RB heyday and wasn't twinned with the more typical/regular ride-outs etc that began back then - we could have perhaps built a more unified and longer lasting calendar of activities and avoided all those tedious 'I use mine' vs 'I clean mine' spats.

Any informative debate that ensues is not, I think, to credit a rather poor OP though - although I get Al's enthusiasm and frustration.

PS. Any more pics of that Aurora MK??!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:38 pm 
Retro Guru

The History Man wrote:
I get your frustration. I just think you went well ott in the way you expressed it.

Mayhem is more my style. Admire, ride, swap, talk, sleep, drink, fall off, get muddy, drink again, admire.......

Some shiny, some ratty, some bonkers. All ridden with gay abandon. A little more immersive.

60 odd other retrobikers maybe thought similar with varying permutations of the above.

How many attended?

Edit: that last pic is priceless! Great shades, great pose. 8)

I agree with Jason's sentiments. I ride my bikes. I've never had one remain original from the day it was bought new. Always tweeking, updating etc etc. I love to ride, meet people and talk about bikes.
Mayhem was a great mix. More of it please. Let's get muddy....after all isn't that what they are for?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next