Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:01 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:07 am 
Ain't no party like an S Club party
Ain't no party like an S Club party

Icon•O•Classic : 2014 - What a great day!

Many thanks to all those who came along and brought their beloved bikes - an excellent turnout, certainly the largest number I’ve seen on display in one place since Malvern ’93.

Also a HUGE thanks to those who helped with setting up / taking down the barriers and manning road closures / directing traffic - the sort of camaraderie that allows shows of this kind to run along smoothly.

There were some incredible bikes on display, and it was really good chatting to folks - the Saturday night was particularly chilled…!

It became obvious early on that people had travelled long distances to take part, and this added greatly to the excitement and knowledge that Icon•O•Classic is something we’ve all wanted for a while now.

Hopefully next year we will get some of our continental, or even overseas, contingent… :wink:

All in all, the inuagural show has been a brilliant platform from which to grow the event year on year - with an ever increasing turnout of bikes and public.

The bikes make the show, and I am certain - as others have noted - that those who may have ‘held back’ this year will see what they have missed and will be eager to attend Icon•O•Classic : 2015 and beyond!

I will be meeting with the town and district councils over the coming weeks, and know already from preliminary discussions that they are pleased with the turnout, and happy that all proceeded without incident.

There are areas I will address for next year’s show - one of them being a strict enforcement of the ‘1m between bikes’ rule that wasn’t necessarily adhered to this time around.

We need proper space between bikes to allow close and easy admiration, and the layout wasn’t helped when bikes were 'bunched up’ in places.

I’m sure any security fears [which lead to tight grouping in places] were allayed once the show was up and running, so folks won’t have as many concerns next year and will be happy to set out properly...

I will be uploading some pics over the next few days [here, and on the FB pages], including some high level shots showing how the turnout from the public was equally strong - it wasn't just exhibitors!

Considering a possible change of date to a week earlier, but have asked Lord March if instead he wouldn’t mind rescheduling Goodwood Festival of Speed.

After his own inaugural event in ’93 clashed with Le Mans, he made a promise to avoid conflicts with future Le Mans and F1 races - I am of course expecting the same courtesy be shown towards Icon•O•Classic…

To answer with certainty one question raised - the event will always be kept at a 1995 [inclusive] cut-off, and this date won’t be extended.

This isn’t a retrobike event, and therefore doesn’t need to follow the lines of the site.

My interest in bikes stops at ’95, and I have zero interest in organising anything to include ’96 onwards bikes.

If this affects you, my apologies - but you could always buy an earlier bike! :lol:

Unfortunately, I had to 'cut the cloth' somewhat come opening day, and the Best in Show was not up and running.

This will certainly be up and running next year - I know some of you guys get a little competitive about these things!

Thank you once again one and all, it was a real pleasure to meet a load of new faces - some definite top banana gents and ladies amongst us!

Here’s to next year!

Cheers,
Tom.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:32 pm 
Dirt Disciple

TedC wrote:
Hopefully my pictures here[*]: http://s864.photobucket.com/user/Ted_C/library/

Includes seriously cool Hudson parked around the corner first thing.

[*] Photobucket being rather pants this morning.

Thats my van in the background. The big one. Thanks for your patience while we unloaded the frail old lady who lives in town and wanted to see all the bikes plus my motorhome.

What an amazing display and top marks to everyone making the effort to bring their bikes. I loved so many of those fantastic examples and hadn't realised there were so many bikes anoracks.

Well done you lot.

And yes, the Hudson was very cool.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:31 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 32.76 KiB | Viewed 3075 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:50 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

RDqrDXyjqb wrote:
Wrote <pages and pages>

So which bike did you like most?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:58 am 
Dirt Disciple

Hi Benandemu

Thank you for identifying the bike jumble guys I was trying to contact. You were correct that the person i needed to contact was Gil_m and have been in contact with Gil, many thanks to yourself. :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:25 am 
Dirt Disciple

Hi to the organisers of Icon O Classic and attendees

We had a great day at the event and well worth exhibiting my Stumpy 93. Met some great people; both passionate enthusiasts and interested public. The organisers did a great job of putting the inaugural event together and to top it off the weather was good.

There were some superb bikes there; and brought back some great memories seeing some the machines from different years and the different technologies of the time; both bikes and components. All the bikes there were interesting to see, just wish there was more time to look at them as we spent a lot of time talking to people.

Looking forward to next years event.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:52 pm 
Retro Guru
Retro Guru

@BB: Thanks for organising this. A great day! Needless to say, I am looking forward to next year's installment. Just sorry I couldn't make the Saturday night.
@RBG: Hope the missus has forgiven you for spending the best part of a full day with some dodgy-looking bloke you met on the internet!
@Everyone who went: Thanks for not taking the p155 out of me for arriving in such a hopelessly disorganised manner (except for Mr K, that is).
@Everyone who didn't: You missed out. Be there next year!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:33 pm 

tremendous all, very nice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:37 pm 

very good, I put a small contribution that I have the housings world record speed of 12.0 fs degree kastle an eagle

that are for sale

Attachments:
20140923_173928 - copia.jpg
20140923_173928 - copia.jpg [ 118.38 KiB | Viewed 2509 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:50 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Yes a very enjoyable day. Didn't get to see all the bikes as much as I wanted as I was stood around talking more of the day!

Thanks to Tom and John for organising etc.

Who was the chap on the green/blue Fat Chance with the splash anodising?
Is he on here?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next