Do you think people think in their regional accents?

Augustus

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Was just walking back from London Bridge to work and found myself thinking aloud (not unusual) and figured that I do think in my (south east) regional accent.

Is this true? I think it must be?

Do you?

and following on from this - do people who are bilingual think in their native tongue, or the language they're speaking at the time? I speak a little French and German, but still think in English at the time; however, a friend of mine is truly bilingual (Arabic at home, English all other times) and she says she thinks in whatever language she's speaking at the time...

I spent a year in France and towards the end of it was dreaming and thinking in French. Still have occasional flashbacks and dream in French to this day!

When you're learning a language there comes a point where when you are talking to somebody in that language you are no longer translating their responses into English before understanding it, but bypassing that and understanding it directly. That's the point at which you start thinking in it too.

I've heard Chinese argue in Chinese then half way through talk in English then switch back to Chiniese :shock:

Many of the British Indians I work with do the same...it'll be "blah blah blah (in gujurat)..blah..blah..microwave..blah blah blah" :D

I did a degree in Computer Science and French. While I was struggling to get my final year project to work (embedding hyperlinks in videos - world leading technology, you mark my words its time will come*) I regularly dreamt in Java

Had I not done the French and realised that I often thought in French I would have thought this quite weird.

I now realise it was weird. I'll get my coat!

*I may have said this last century when I was actually writing it :)

yup ;)

:idea: soooooooooooooooo.....................do you think cats and dogs think in their own language or in a language native to their own country :?:

I find on occasions I slip between Linconshire and Derbyshire accents when I am thinking...... "Pound" "Paand" ...."House" "Arse" eyh up Yoof!

Back