Argh! Help me choose a car!

JS1500

Senior Retro Guru
This is a lot more difficult than I thought!

I know my cars, to a degree, but it's not helping me decide.
I have up to £4,000 but i'd rather spend less and pay off debts with the rest!

Bike hauling ability is preferred, but I don't really mind sticking a rack on.
I want something quality that's not going to break to often (had enough of that with my classics). This will be my first 'modern' car!

Candidates include:

media

2000 X Reg AUDI A4 2.5 TDi Quattro
Price:
£3,495

^^^ (obviously i'm too late for that particular one... :roll: )

1998 S Reg AUDI A4 1.8 SE (trade)

61,000 miles
Manual
SILVER
Petrol
4 Doors, Manual, Saloon, Petrol, 61,000 miles, Metallic Silver, MOT-04-2008, 1 Owner. ABS, Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Alloy wheels, Climate Control, Computer, Driver airbag,

^^^No pic with this one but it's local.

media

1996 N Reg BMW 520i SE
Price:
£1,750

Or the wildcard...

PicturePage1Big.aspx

1995 3.0L. Avus Blue Metallic. Taxed and MOT'd. Service History. 138K miles. Electric windows, central locking, electric sunroof, LSD, four good Bridgestones, half Alcantara £3,895

^^^ Sample pic used as pic from ad won't open.
If the car for sale was any closer it'd already be on my drive!

Something like the first Audi i'd be looking to keep for a couple of years atleast but the M3 would just be a bit of fun for 6 months or so until my missus passes her driving test... :?

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated - i'm really struggling!

media

1996 VOLKSWAGEN GOLF 2.0 GTi 5dr Hatchback
Price:
£1,800ono.

Features: 88,000 miles Manual BLUE Petrol 5 Door Hatchback P reg (1996) Full Description: Glossary of Terms
Manual, 88,000 miles, Colour: Blue, Mileage: 88K, MOT: Aug 07, Taxed: Aug 07, 5 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Petrol, ABS, Adjustable Seats, Alloy Wheels, Sony Radio CD Player, Remote Central Locking with Cat 1 Alarm, Childs Locks, Cloth Upholstery, Driver Airbag, Electric Mirrors, Electric Windows, Electric Sunroof, Front and Rear Fog Lights, Adjustable Steering Column/Wheel, Head Restraints, Folding Rear Seats, Power Assisted Steering, Spoiler. Fitted in the last 2 months: - 2 New Tyres, New Front Brake Discs and Pads and New Power Steering Pipes. £1,800. ono

^^^ I'd thought of a Saab as well as Alfa 156 Sportwagons and Volvo 850 T5s but the interior styling of the Saabs dosn't really agree with me.

Thanks for your suggestion though, i'll have a second look!

1.8 Petrol A4's are quite sluggish and economy is not so great. 1.9 TDi is the best for economy and is actually quicker than the petrol counterpart. I'm looking for a 2.5 TDi at the mo, but unless your prepared to pay in excess of 5k anything below this is high mileage, battered. The 2.5 TDi's haul arse with the big torque they produce but economy is down in the mid 30's mpg wise compared to the 50 odd you see from the 1.9 TDi's.

4k should buy you a decent 1.9 TDi, 90,000-130,000 mile face lift B4 chassis Avant or a saloon for either less money or less miles. I'd go for an avant over a saloon.

I picked my 1.9 TDi up 2 years ago with 100,000 on the clock, it has now done 165,000. Barring tyres, bulbs, regular oil and diesel filter changes i've not spent anything on it and it has been 100% reliable.

I spend all day playing with 'Classic's', modified VW's and BMW Mini Cooper 'S'. The A4 is very refreshing as you can just get it and drive it without having to piss about with it, not have collect bits it has deposited on the road, one tank of fuel last 600 miles etc..

^^^ Cheers. That's the kind of info i'm after.

I've driven a 1975 MG Midget everyday for 8 years (yep, in snow too) so i'm ready for comfort and reliability!
Not particularly bothered about economy (anything 30+ will seem great to me) but I know i'll get pissed off with anything too slow (esp. after getting out of the V8 Roadster...)!

Back