a typical example of the poor attitude towards cyclists

"Compete and utter menace."

What she actually meant was inconvenient to her commute. Wouldn't life be so much easier if other road users didn't exist... :roll:

Saddened to read this.

If you google the writer's name and town it is quite interesting the amount of times that a person with that specific name in that town has written to the newspapers...

You get quite a few wierdos, or groups of wierdos, writing in to local rags under a pseudonym. Pretty sad really.

In fairness and reading between the lines, I do see some of the point. I know we want to react to this, and see it as some evil-cyclist-bashing-Daily-Mail reading, middle aged idiot saying that cyclists have no place on the road, but that's not what I read.

I used to regularly commute on roads that had time trialling on, early evening, and I do recognise some of the points being made - I regularly encountered cyclists competing that had absolutely no regard for any other traffic (either in terms of observation, or cycling 4 and 5 abreast) - all they could see was their needs - now I know these are time trials, but they don't close the roads, other traffic still has a reasonable expectation to make progress.

If cyclists expect consideration on public roads, it's a two-way street (pardon the pun...). If the event is still on open roads, where traffic will be, too, then expecting consideration from drivers, does imply a certain degree of reciprocity.

I have been saddened by the recent cases where cyclists have been killed on the road, by negligent drivers. The drivers were careless, with tragic results. However, I've also read about cases in recent times with people actively trying to do harm, albeit luckily not resulting in any loss of life, that have just received token punishments, like fines.

her letter was a bit pointless as where the main part of the TT takes place has 50 and 60mph speed limits and two wide lanes. The way her letter scans is that there is never anywhere to overtake and that they shouldnt be allowed.

The whole point of time trailling is that racing was banned and that they are spread out to avoid bunching.

I do not like the rather selfish attitude of the lady's letter regarding other road users. Perhaps the lady should re-aquaint herself with the Highway Code. It is legal for a cyclist to ride on a dual carriage way but not a motorway.

I feel that her attitude to other road users is the typical selfish view held by many drivers and publishing her letter in no way helps improve matters regarding such tragic events. There are rules for cyclists and rules for the car driver - the car driver MUST be made to understand that they can cause death an injury by ignoring these rules.

From the highway code:

The most vulnerable road users are pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists and horse riders. It is particularly important to be aware of children, older and disabled people, and learner and inexperienced drivers and riders.

When passing motorcyclists and cyclists, give them plenty of room (see Rules 162-167). If they look over their shoulder it could mean that they intend to pull out, turn right or change direction. Give them time and space to do so.

Time Trial Safety

When time trial courses are designed, safety is a major consideration. However, a competitor’s safety remains entirely his or her own responsibility. Events are held on open roads, and competitors must obey the relevant laws and the Highway Code before, during and after a race. Competitors must avoid creating situations that are unsafe for other road users.

There are a number of other points that will help everyone to enjoy safer racing:
Cyclists are less visible than most other road users. You should remember this when approaching junctions.
To improve visibility from the rear, race numbers are printed on a bright, reflective background. The number must be placed on your shorts from the waistband downwards, and must not be covered by other clothing. Your number cannot be positioned in the middle of your back, as with a runner’s number, because it would then face upwards when you’re in a riding position.

You should avoid doing U-turns in the road, both while warming up for an event, and after you’ve passed the finish. Drivers do not normally expect other road users to make this manoeuvre, which means it can be dangerous. It is CTT policy to eliminate U-turns from courses, and to reduce their use where they cannot be avoided.

You must avoid riding with your head down. Even on a Clearway, cars may stop for a variety of reasons, and the responsibility for avoiding them rests with the rider. In the event of a collision, the fact that the car was contravening the Clearway regulations will not be an excuse. A rider can expect a suspension from competition for any failure to watch where they are going.

Any road junction or roundabout can constitute a hazard in a race. You will often be approaching much faster than drivers expect of a cyclist, which can lead to errors of judgement on their part. Be ready for this. Care is particularly necessary at slip roads joining and leaving dual carriageways and other major roads, due to the long period when a cyclist can be between two lanes of merging traffic or exposed to vehicles leaving the main carriageway at high speed.

Don't get me wrong, I see where you're coming from in reading this letter, but I used to be in the same situation, weekly. These, also, were fast (50, and 60mph rural roads, mostly single lane, although sometimes with a middle overtaking lane (for either direction).

And driving regularly in those circumstances - and bearing in mind I was a cyclist then - in fact long before then - and for many years since, I was frequently appalled at the lack of consideration from some of the cyclists. Which is why I can see some of the point behind the letter. Whether, or not, the cyclists involved weren't cycling strictly as per their organisations rules or guidelines, some clearly couldn't give a chuff - all they were interested in is either cycling in a big social group - so big groups (say 20 or so) 4 and 5 abreast, or purely out to beat a time, and to hell with everybody else.

That's not to say that all of them were like that, but in practically every time trial event I drove through I'd see behaviour like that - which is why I can see why somebody not involved, and not that aware of what was going on, purely seeing it as a big inconvenience - not in having to share the roads with cyclists, and to expect some degree of delay - but in regularly encountering cyclists that were clearly unconcerned with other traffic, and an consideration for it.

I have to say that I use the section of the A1 where time trials are held early on Sunday mornings and they are pretty well behaved.

Back