Cigarette Companies

crud

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
watching some american news channel in Denmark, a ciggarette company was posting its profits and forecast, meeting its 'growth' targets, which is a worry etc forget which one

just made me think, what would the companies policy be on smoking?
do they offer support to people who want to quit etc?

It's got to be a legal minefield working for advertising/promotion/marketing at a cigarette company these days.

2006, Madrid, Spain... walking out of a night club and i get asked the question, do you smoke? I just said yes because i saw they were giving out freebies. It was a nice Lucky Strike tin, with a fancy metal lighter inside, a guide to blowing smoke rings and a 10 pack of cigs :shock:

The smoking ban they introduced there was also a joke. Pub/cafes with less than 100m2 area were except from providing a seperate filtered smoking area and it was up to each cafe whether they wanted to be smoke free or not. Problem was, 90% of the pub/cafe were less than 100m2 so nothing really changed!

When I started work in the nice plush offices in 2004 in Madrid, there were people smoking at their desks.... i went to the stationary cabinet to get a few bits and there was a pile of ashtrays in there if you wanted one for your desk!

A certain ciggie company I know used to give out cartons of 200 on a weekly basis to their employees and had a cracking smoking room. The smoking ban obviously put pay to that but they now have the best outdoor smoking room. At the same time they also offer free hypnosis, patches, acupuncture and therapy to any employee that wants to quit - far better than the 'heathcare company' I work for who offer absolutely nothing.

While I am totally for the smoking ban in public places I still believe in freedom of choice and while something is legal I have no problem with companies that sell cigarettes/alcohol/drugs/cars etc. Without smokers we would have no NHS and the pensions deficit would be even larger. We have to remember that the tax from fags far outweighs the spend on primary and secondary smoke effects added to the fact that smoker die far younger than non smokers and so don't burden the state later in life.

pete_mcc":32zlkezf said:
A certain ciggie company I know used to give out cartons of 200 on a weekly basis to their employees and had a cracking smoking room. The smoking ban obviously put pay to that but they now have the best outdoor smoking room. At the same time they also offer free hypnosis, patches, acupuncture and therapy to any employee that wants to quit - far better than the 'heathcare company' I work for who offer absolutely nothing.

That answe4s the question, free cigs and plenty of breaks if you want, help to quit if you don't.

Makes sense to me! Although, must be pretty hard trying to quit when you your making them everyday!

Back