PC connection help..

Sithlord

Old School Grand Master
I recently bought a Pc for the Mrs, being a Mac user I do not have a clue about the settings on a PC :roll: :roll:

I have a wifi card installed, but dont know how to get on the net using this ,its showing up and I have managed to get it to say connected, but when I click on the explorer its not letting me on saying I need to change some settings etc, anyone help me out before the mrs gets home so she can use it.. ;)

Cheers fella's

Go on, give us a wee bit more detail! :)
What OS are you on? Is there a 'wireless' icon in the taskbar (or wherever it's supposed to appear in your OS!)? Can you see a list of available wireless networks through that?

What security have you got set up on your router? Without wishing to state the obvious, I'm sure you realise you need to let the PC know the WPA code or whatever you're using...

Its windows XP.. :)

there is a icon in the bottom right hand corner , indicating that there is a wireless card setup.. I have entered my Wep key etc, and its says connected and its a good connection, however when I click on explorer its asking me to go into settings etc amd thats where I am lost,, how do you get it to use the wireless card/network.. ?

Sorry my mac is totally different and is easy peesy compared to this.. :)

When in comes up with an error message is there a 'repair' button? Clicking on this should tell you where the error is, post it up and someone should be able to help, although it sounds like a router issue... Shouldn't be a problem though :cool:

Once you click on the explorer there is a box that appears and it says.. :

Dial-up-connection

Connect to : Dial-up connection

User name

Password..

SAVE PASSWORD BOX

Connect --- settings ---- work offline...

???

Nope I have not pressed it, the only one I pressed was the connect button, and once I have done that its trying do dial out, so I think that this Dial up connection thingy must be wrong, surly this is for a old 56k old modem type connection ? ?

So there must be a way to change this option.. ? ?

outlander's link has more in it than I can remember at the moment! I've got an xp pc at home, but I'm at work for a little while, we had similar problems a while ago. It sounds like you need to find the router's username and password - what router is it? There should be a number on the bottom along the lines of 192.168.1.1? type the number like that on the router into the address bar and you should be able to get into the router's settings and find out the password

I think your making a mountain out of a molehill.

Set everything to auto and delete that dial up connection, it's trying to connect through a modem.

Back