Upgrading to Snow Leopard....worth it?

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
As above really.

Currently run OS 10.5 but read good things about Snow Leopard.

Seems a snip at £25 but wonder if many folk have made the switch and found it beneficial.

Cheers,

Mark

Also interested to know, I am in the same boat.

Whilst were on for mac advice I am due a mobile upgrade.
I am with Orange

Iphone 3g (free on 2 year contract £99 on 18 month)
Iphone 3GS (£129 on 2 year contract £189 on 18 month)
Or wait till the summer for the next gen?

(I really dislike the idea of 2yr contracts...I actually dislike the idea of 18 month contract...what ever happened to the good old 1 year stuff?)

I upgraded from Tiger to Snow Leopard when it came out. Well worth £25 imo, seems much faster all round and all the little additions like dock items you can navigate make it easier to use.

I upgraded from Leopard to Snow Leopard and wish I hadn't really. The Mac's no faster, and some minor things seem a little bit worse.

A friend who upgraded found that important software stopped working under Snow Leopard, so he spent an entire day re-installing Leopard together with all of his applications and work.

So if Leopard isn't broken, you might not need to fix it...

wel i'm kinda stuck with Leopard as i have a pre Intel Mac!
i got a PowerMac G5 (late 2005 spec, Dual core) the very last of the PowerPC Macs, the last of the Real Macs ;)

its my first Mac so its a good starting point for me. my mrs is a Mac engineer & she's been pestering me to get one for ages so i thought i'd give it a go. so far so good :D

anyway back on topic you might find any software you buy in the future has been optimised to run with Snow Leopard & might not work properly with the older OS
already there is a lot of software unsuitable for slightly older PowerPC Macs like mine due to the different internal architecture & the way tasks are handled :!:

i only got mine to use as a photographic tool & its perfect for that with 2 hard drive bays & a massive videocard ;)

At first i really like snow. But i wished i hadn't up graded now. As is normal their are some changes i really like and some i hate. :roll:

JeRkY":2r8jrh28 said:
(I really dislike the idea of 2yr contracts...I actually dislike the idea of 18 month contract...what ever happened to the good old 1 year stuff?)

I agree, but phones have got a quite expensive. The monthly contract payment is really just credit to buy the phone. So you either need to pay more for the phone, pay more a month or have a longer contract.
When I lived in Spain they had very cheap contracts, I paid 9euro a month, but i paid 400 euro for a decent phone.

Works out the same in the end, except most people had crap phones, so you really can show of your spanking phone there not like here.

I really like Sno Leopard. If anything because they slimmed the code way down - i.e. you don't waste hard drive space with lots of useless language files, printer drivers & other legacy code. They also changed the way the OS counts 1 meg. Previously, 1 meg = 1,024 bytes and now it's 1,000 which is more intuitive to folks like me. The benefits of this are increased hard drive space. I use a MB Air with the solid state drive and it's only 64Gb. Upon upgrading to Snow Leopard, I'd picked up 8Gb of extra hard drive space which was much welcomed.

Back