2010 blizzard - The A3, empty roads and a Fiat Doblo.

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Still little or no snow up in Cambridgeshire so decided that we should go and collect the Fiat Doblo I'd accidently won via an ebay 'best offer'.

The car/van thingy was located down in Petersfield in West Sussex/ Hampshire, featuring prominently in the News 24 'breaking news' about drivers getting stuck....

Get past Baldock on the A1 and its like a scene from a disaster movie as we're bimbling along on an empty southbound whilst the northbound is clogged with snow covered cars and trucks crawling along as if trying to escape.

Snow starts to come down heavily past Hatfield and its 40mph - I find trucks to drive behind to clean the windscreen as the washer jets have frozen up again...

M25 - slow, snowy but everybody is behaving themselves except the twats in audis with their ******* foglights on.... :roll:

Our destination is the A3/ A272 and as the message boards quaote it as shut, my missus starts to worry. The RDS updates were painting a picture of deep snow the further south we went.

A3 - has there been a war?? Is it Sunday? It was so bloody quiet! We were the only car for miles with so few actual people out and about, even past Guilford it was quiet.

The snow had eased off but we could start to see how much had landed overnight with some fantastic snow scapes. Heavily laden trees leaning over the road, single lane by now. The road itself was free of slush and well gritted, 45 to 50mph was fine.

Then the scenes changed to a weird Dali esque moon scape with huge wind shaped drifts and abandoned cars becoming more frequent. Wheelie bins were hilarious! They looked like mushrooms... :LOL:

Then, somewhere near 'Brook' - the A3 was coned off with settled snow on the outside lane giving a curb at least 8 inches deep. 'Traffic' (us, a tractor, a film crew and a local) was diverted back to the A31 to Farham and Alton (to rejoin the A272). A local chap who'd come out to look said that even with winter tires, local knowledge and a Hilux, he'd had serious problems just driving 2 miles on local roads. He was giving up and going back home.

At this point Lillian wanted to go back but I thought 'bollocks' as this weather was set to continue and it could be just as bad to come back another day to find the car was a pup. And besides, I'm a tight git and didnt want to drive all that way again...

With a very nervous Lillian I drove back to the main road with the snow hard and white and scraping the underneath of the car (it was that deep).

The A31 was just deep, salty, slushy and again, spookily quiet. It wasnt until we got to the A272 that Winter really showed us what had gone on that night. I've never seen so much snow! We lost count of abandoned cars with snow at least a foot deep on the roof. Buses at crazy angles, battered cars that had either been hit after they were parked or crashed before. I asked Lillian not to anger the 'Centre Snake' and appease him by taking all her clothes off later :twisted:

The centre snake was the thick ribbon of ice and snow down the centre of the road that would catch you out and send you off into a ditch...

Anyway, just about every model of 4x4 was wafting around looking for stuck people or just out and about because they could whilst, we the idiots, were doing pretty well in a front drive Passat. We had to negotiate fallen trees, abandoned buses/ trucks and badly parked cars whilst people were digging their motors out.

On the whole it was pretty fun but with adrenaline constantly pumping, it was exhausting. The only idiot we came across was a BMW with snow chains crawling along and moaning as I overtook him at a blinding 26mph...

The Doblo? Great, ugly, new tires, ugly, service history, ugly, one owner and an MP3 CD already installed. Hot coffee from the sellers and a much needed wee stop...

Journey home was far less interesting... sorry.

pics from the missus' Blackberry later.

Did you see the bloke who took 18.5 hours to get from Feltham to Portsmouth, he was on the radio, on the phone to BBC South Today, then on South Today in the evening!!! If it took me 16 extra hours to get home I'd want to stay there!

Sounds like a fun trip :shock: - I drove down the A3 the last time it snowed a lot and it was pretty similar at points, highlights being watching snow ploughs fire the slush from the other carriageway over the central reservation into the (admittedly non existant) fast lane on my side and seeing someone pushing a motorbike up the wrong side of the road :shock: :shock: :shock:

Don't know why the A3 cops it so bad, but it always seems to...

youre far braver than me LGF. Car hasnt moved since new year. I get no pleasure risking myself or my no claims bonus, contending with idiots in micras doing 2mph and premium 4x4ers doing 50mph or worrying about whether my abandoned car is still safe.
But i guess I'm fortunate in that all my business is walkable, so selfishly I cant get enough of this weather.

It took me about 40 minutes last night to get up a quarter mile hill out of my mave's village(as in the village he live's in, not the village he owns). It is at the bottom of a hill so only way out is up. I was having to lay a blanket in front of the wheels and drive about a metre at a time. Couldn't work out why all the other villagers were able to get out so easily. Took me a while but worked out my hand brake was stuck on. Didn't stand a chance really!

Not far from us LGF, I work in Basingstoke and my mate in Alton, haven't been to work for the past two days as my 'company car' is a Honda Civic and the wifes cars is a Ford Ranger and why should I risk her and the kids. Have dug the road out today so the car can get out tomorrow for work but it really is a bit surreal.

Carl.

Not that much down here .... her indoors have a old Shogun cuz we have horses and it grips like p00 to a blanket

Have only gone out when had too !!!
Let the 4x4 hero's get on with it !!!!!

pics:

Attachments

• beware the cenre snake.jpg
    beware the cenre snake.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 1,806
  • lots of trees.jpg
    lots of trees.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 1,806
  • picturesque.jpg
    picturesque.jpg