Offshoot of LGF's thread... watch ideas?

LeeDevelopment

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
My other half wanted to get me a new watch for Christmas but it was a case of not being able to see the wood for the trees. I'd love a Cartier but these are way out of the price range at the moment. Tag's are prone to problems, so they're a no-no too, as are Rolex.... they're too Arfur Daley/used car salesman for me. I'm after something chunky yet with classic styling, maybe a chronograph. I really like the look of the Tissot range, but am wondering if there's any watch-ologist(!?!) on here that could point me in the direction of any other brands/styles/types etc?

I was going to say Tissot - I had a PR200 for a few years, but it gave out in the end (prob 5 yrs).

I have a Tag Aquaracer (model and face pictured below), no problems in nearly two years. The two year Tag warranty should provide peace of mind?

MensChronographB.jpg

as are Rolex.... they're too Arfur Daley/used car salesman for me.

Maybe that's true for the dress Rolexes. I believe some of the sports range have a classic elegance and represent an excellent long term investment.

I've been very happy with my Daytona and it has appreciated since I bought it. If I was going to go for another, I'd pick either a pre-owned Sea Dweller or a green glass Milgauss. Both are classic designs.

A Cartier will not hold its value, if you really want one go down the pre-owned route.

This guy always has some nice pre-owned Rolex in (and I know three people who have bought from him and received faultless watches and service).

http://www.dream-watches.co.uk/

Another guy with a good reputation

http://www.watchesofdistinction.com

If you do decide to go down the Rolex sports route, steer clear of the gold/Bi-metal models.

One I do rather fancy is on the first (top) link... A Breitling Aerospace (in Titanium which is apt). These things are indestructable, all the RAF boys say you can throw them around in the back of a Hercules with no problems. The only bit I don't like is the gold detail on the quarter markers. At £1250 it represents reasonable value though - it is quartz though... An Omega Seamaster is also an excellent choice.

fingers":3uwbkmvh said:
I have a couple of omegas and cant fault them. Bit more understated than a Rolex too.

+1 for the Omega, I got one for chrimbo and a nice surprise it was too :)

Love my Ebel Discovery automatic. Def worth buying an auto with a bracelet strap instead of leather as the running costs of these things can be frightening...

kaiser":2d3udqpr said:
fingers":2d3udqpr said:
I have a couple of omegas and cant fault them. Bit more understated than a Rolex too.

+1 for the Omega, I got one for chrimbo and a nice surprise it was too :)

oooh!Somebody loves you. New or Classic? Which model? :D

Back