2005 Klein Attitude XX front mech fitting problems

cudfather

Devout Dirtbag
Hi,

I've posted this question in a few other forums without any luck so I'm hoping you guys can help me.

I'm building an 05 Attitude from scratch. I ordered an XTR M970 front mech (top swing) with a 34.9 band on it without measuring the seat tube, lazily expecting it to fit - but it doesn't. The band is too small :(

This has got me stumped. I didn't think you could get front mechs with bands bigger than 34.9mm?!

One thought I did have was that the seat tube is ovalised, but it really doesn't look like it.

If anyone else on here has built up one of these Trek Klein frames could you please tell me what I'm doing wrong and what mech I have to buy to make it fit because it's driving me absolutely potty!!

Cheers

Klein

hey :D

weird one that! i built a attitude xx a few years ago but dont remember any fitting problems with the front mech, just a stock fit as i remember?

are you sure the shop hasn't dished out a 31.6mm by mistake? ckeck the band size first dude :D

peace

martin

Hi Thanks for getting back.

The inside of the band says 34.9. I've tested it on my Orange Five which has a seat tube of 31.8 (just in case it was a manufacturing problem) and the mech would have needed a shim to fit onto it so it's definitely a 34.9.

The only think I'm thinking it could be is that the paint is really thick.

What front mech did you mount on your Attitude XX out of interest?

Front Mech

kleinattitude007-1.jpg

kleinattitude005.jpg

kleinattitude006.jpg

heres a few pics of mine :D

I've worked out that I've just been a bit of a wuss in not wanting to scratch the paint. With a generous helping of Maguires Wax I've managed to pinch the band on.

Your pictures prove that the Trek Klein's can still be brilliant looking bikes. Did you like the ride of your one?

I'll put up pics of mine when it's finished. Should be in a week or so.

Cheers,

Klein

Ye :cool:

the klein was weapon light :D man i had it built with carbon rc31s & xtr. must have weighed in about 20lb. lightning fast on the climbs :shock: XC weapon!

Great bikes although the klein purists knock them :LOL:

that zr9000 frame tubes are well under rated id say, big up the treklein :cool:

post your up when its done.. ill look forward to seein that one :D

peace

Good stuff. I'll be looking forward to the opinions when I put mine up then.

Depending on when certain parts turn up, it should be by the end of next week.

Back