Severn Bridge Toll Laiku (like a baiku but different)

Augustus

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Transporter Sportline and Clio Van go over the bridge en route to Wales. VW pays £4.80. I get asked for £10.60.

"you're a van".

"er, he's a van - it's a transporter"

"he's got windows - you haven't".

"£10.60 please.

Genius.

:roll:

I know the feeling ... admittedly I've got a Mitsubishi pickup truck so I should pay £10.90, but when a Range Rover twice the size of my truck only gets charged £5.40 then I think I have the right to feel aggrieved!! :roll:

As I found out at the dartford toll - you can drive through the automatic £1 gates in pretty much anything. Or do what my mate Neil did and drive straight through the barrier by mistake because he didn't realise his dart tag had expired.... :shock: :D :shock: :D :D

you can drive through the automatic £1 gates in pretty much anything

Most of the time, sometimes they spot you and make you pay full whack, but rather that than *@&*@ idiots last night, who having sat in queue for some seven to eight miles and at least 45 mins found themselves at an auto gate with no change FFS. :evil:

I got stung that way years ago in a mini van – A MINI VAN for gods sake – a bloody Honda Goldwing's bigger than that! The bridge trolls wouldn't have it though, they were adamant mine was just as much a commercial vehicle as a transit – I even tried to argue it was a two-seater sports car as they only have windows in the doors and one at the rear but I guess they weren't convinced

Yep - does seem unfair - we always go via Gloucester to avoid the toll going from Ross towards Bristol and back on the Severn Bridge into Wales as there are no tolls in that direction.

I know people that do water ski racing and every year there is a race in Cardiff. The F1 teams with their 3.5 metric ton ski race boats (supercharged 8.9 litre 1000hp V8 big block chevy, 500+ litres of fuel etc) on 1 ton twin axels trailers towed behind coach sized campers will pay £5.40 at the toll. Then, as has been said, an empty 106 panel van or whatever behind them will pay twice as much. Crazy!!!

Back