A rubbish situation

bryan555

Retrobike Rider
I had a really bad day. I found out that the watch I bought for my wife for Christmas, and left under my desk at work, has been thrown away by the office cleaners, crushed and put into landfill.

I put away a bit of money each month, and managed to find an amazing deal on a Nixon watch, worth £200, for £76.50. I was really chuffed as my wife has been admiring the watch for a while, but never thought she could afford one. I don't have any spare cash to get her another gift.

The cleaning company say they remember binning the box because it was near the bin. There is a bin under the next door desk, but the cleaning company shouldn't throw away anything that isn't in the bin, and we use a different company for recycling, so they shouldn't be throwing away cardboard anyway.

They are saying they are 'not liable' to refund the money. I don't think I can replace the watch even if they did refund the £76.50 I paid, as the place I bought it from only had one.

What really upsets me is that they haven't bothered to apologise. They've got loads of time to get legal advice, but can't find the time, or inclination to say sorry.

To make matters worse the key to my D lock has gone missing, so I can't unlock my bike!

So gutted.

if they say sorry, they could be deemed liable.

a sad world.

Surely the more likely course of events is, that the cleaner found it and stole it? You wouldn't pick a box up with a watch in it without realising the watch was in there? Sorry i'm not a very trusting sole. Have you got CCTV in your office?
Sorry state of affairs before christmas, I feel for you.

a lump hammer and a bolster chisel will go through the d lock in seconds fella...as for the watch claim they stole the watch..you only have their word it was thrown away...as they have already admitted to being aware of the box then it would be very easy to get a refund on the watch...if you have proof of value ect.your missus will understand if she really loves you..

There no CCTV in my office, but there is in the building. I will have access to that tomorrow.

Yes, it's likely that I have been ripped off, and I think I will get the police involved if this isn't swiftly cleared up, if only to be a pain in the arse to the cleaning company who have been so unhelpful. I don't expect to get anything out of it, but I will make sure as many of the cleaning companies clients know that they are being investigated for theft.

I couldn't get the pen thing to work in my lock :(
But thanks for the advice :)

Take the cleaners to the cleaners!!!! Highlight their contractual obligations regarding what materials they are allowed to bin/recycle, they may face a hefty fine/punishment if shown to be negligent, possibly....

Good luck!

Back