Canary Islands, where to ride?

rienster

Retro Guru
I'm planning a trip to the Canary Islands early next year and I'm wondering which one is the best for cycling. I haven't been there before so really haven't got a clue where to go. Have heard good things about Gran Canaria for mtb-ing, but also Tenerife for road riding.
Anyone on here have any experience and which place would you recommend. Any input is appreciated.
Cheers.

Ive heard its very windy. A mate of mine went last year roadbiking - dont know which island and he said 60 miles seems like 80 cos of the wind and he's never taking aero wheels again. But he said its great.

pigman":1yck9u90 said:
Ive heard its very windy.

yup.

got off the plane and was welcomed by a gale. Rep said " welcome to fuertaventura...direct translation....windy island"

:roll:

Thank chaps, I better bring a wind jacket than. :)
Anyone know anything more about the riding conditions per island. Got the impression that Gran canaria is the bussiest (hence most traffic). Perhaps no problem when mtb-ing.

Odly enough me and a few friends have been talking about a similar trip, probably late feb/early march.

Looks like I'll be there at the start of feb. Will be with the family though, so no extremely long trips. But look forward to some shorter training rides, and some sun. :cool:

i have ridden several times in lanzarote, although i would suggest it's a road bike place more than mtb, mainly because if you are only there for a week or so it can be hard to find trails unless you are guided, nad what is there is very sandy and hard work to ride on, having said that some of the roads are a little rough, but some are great. it is windy and suprisingly hilly especially if like me you were based at the coast. i spent a week riding from one side of the island to another which overthere is quite hard work because the island is bigger than you think.

haven't been to the other islands though but alot of pro teams used lanzarote for training in the early season (saw bjarne riis once) and i think there are some big iron man races there.

Back