New frame suggestions invited.....

Andy R

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Ok - it's Friday today, and as it was (unusually) not peeing down this morning, I decided to take a couple of hours off and go for a ride. While climbing up through the forestry to the 1000ft mark I got round to thinking ( it takes my mind off the pain :roll: ) about buying another frame.

Now I'm not a "collector" and up until now have kept every bike that I ever owned, but the 2006 Blizzard has been stripped down and the frame will be for sale (on here, STW, fleabay, wherever...). I've tried my damnedest to like it (and , at times, convinced myself that I did) but it just never "did" it for me and I didn't bond with it (so to speak) even though it built up into a fine and very capable bike.

So, anyway, what to get to replace it (if anything)? I've entertained the thought of getting one of those Singular Hummingbirds and running it as a '69er, maybe SS, maybe Alfined or 1x9'ed.
Sort of like that crappy old blue Explosif that I ride then, but a bit prettier and with the ability to use larger section rear tyres......(although a bit of chainstay manipulation has improved that a lot).

The problem is that the "crappy old blue Explosif" is actually (according to me and everyone else who's ridden it anyway) bloody good, believe it or not - it's just that an odd time I'd like something with gears and I've only got my '88 Explosif now, but especially this time of year I'm spoilt by discs ... :roll:

At nearly 58 my serious racing days are long gone and I won't be dropping anything more than 3ft to flat either, not often anyway ;) so I'm not hardcore in any sense of the word :cry:
I just need a good and faithful friend to entertain me in my dotage, hence the need for suggestions.
Steel and a hardtail of course - I wouldn't know how to ride anything else :oops:

Gratuitous ride pics - the one by the gate at about 1,100 ft and the other at around 1,350ft out on Slieu Dhoo.

Attachments

• Friday-ride-2.jpg
    Friday-ride-2.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 618
  • Friday-ride-1.jpg
    Friday-ride-1.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 618
As we're in off-topic, I assume you're looking for something modern with disc mounts and 100mm+ geometry?

I think 853 is the best thing since sliced bread and I love what Genesis do. Also the colour of this years Altitude is particularly tasty:

topbikesaltitude30.jpg

Tallpaul":znz5rnww said:
As we're in off-topic, I assume you're looking for something modern with disc mounts and 100mm+ geometry?

I think 853 is the best thing since sliced bread and I love what Genesis do. Also the colour of this years Altitude is particularly tasty

I put it in off-topic 'cos other wise I'd get slated for asking that sort of stuff in the Retro section :oops: - and yes, I'm looking for something with disc capability certainly but with an EBB or Paragon sliders (or similar) so that I can run it as SS or geared.

I agree on the 853 - strange that I'm going to part with the Blizzard really.
The problem is that I won't know what I want until it jumps out at me.....

It may not be 853 but my Identiti Mr. Hyde is a really nice ride and has the all important sliding dropouts. Other than that, a Voodoo Wanga.

Wanga.jpg

1099-3812-main-fmit-mrh-s-gn-23.jpg

Wanga%20One.jpg

Cool rucksack :cool:

Are you staying rigid or thinking of something with some rear travel ?

dyna-ti":2ntcx1ax said:
Cool rucksack :cool:

Are you staying rigid or thinking of something with some rear travel ?

It's just a Camelback Mule - and yes, I plan on staying rigid :oops: :oops:
This is on the shortlist......some of the US stuff is nice too, but expensive to get over the Atlantic :cry:

Attachments

• Hummingbird--2.jpg
    Hummingbird--2.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 550
Well, just to continue - a Hummingbird it is, a used but mint (complete with CK headset) frame and forks should be here at the end of the week hopefully.

This actual frame.

Then I just have to decide what to build it up with, of course..... :roll:

Attachments

• HB-2a.jpg
    HB-2a.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 500
Back