Axle removal

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
How do i get this axle out the hub.i've been hitting it too long to be doing the right way :? .
I've been supporting the body on the spider and hammering the freehub end with a rubber mallet,but it aint shifting.
Should i use a bit of hardwood on there to protect the axle end,then use a steel hammer to 'persuade' it out?.
The little end cap in the pic is shown on their diagram as being removable?if so how??.Do you knock the axle through first then take it off.
Sorry for the pic,best i could do.

The lockring for the spider is on solid and isnt coming off despite several hours soaking,so i thought id at least remove the useful parts and dump the hub or try one last death or victory crack at it[crack is what it will probably do]

Attachments

• Hope C2 Servicing and replacing the seals (Large).jpg
    Hope C2 Servicing and replacing the seals (Large).jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 967
I'd like to know too :) - I think you hit it from the disc side but I'm sure someone will correct me.

You need to pries off the spacer first, I started the spacer off with a knife until I could get a cone spanner under it - I still haven't got the axle out

proper bearing press is the only "real" way without inflicting hammer damage, but if you have to, make sure you support the bearings properly with an appropriate sized socket or suchlike.. . . and remove any circlips. . .

elite504":10qrcsco said:
proper bearing press is the only "real" way without inflicting hammer damage, but if you have to, make sure you support the bearings properly with an appropriate sized socket or suchlike.. . . and remove any circlips. . .

im going to take it to my local wheelbuilders,they have all the tools to strip it keeping damage to a minimum.If i keep bashing at it,it will break and a decent hub will be lost forever :(

The axle is one of those short 130mm ones for the bolt on disc calliper.Im not sure it its configuration is the same as their standard length axles :?

Now that you ask I went through my links
http://www.offroadadventures-online.com/equip0062.jpg

has some info for you, my Ti glide is a slightly later version and hence weights a touch more. I guess they beefed up the flanges (it's a wiggly flange, not the flat-angled flange in the picture. thin k I may service mine before I build it up.

Hope Ti-Glide

I have a Hope Ti-glide hub in the back wheel of my racing bike. The axle and hub flanges are aluminium, with a titanium tube forming the centre of the hub body. The freehub body is also beautifully machined from titanium, and is still gleaming bright with razor sharp edges, even after 4 years of being buried under 8 oily cogs. Hope fit SKF (the best) bearings as standard. The hub creaks, but I'm damned if I can find out why. The bearings have needed no attention in 4 years, but I've had the hub apart, just to look at it. The bearings and axle slide out easily with a few taps from a hide mallet (no vice needed), and no tools except the hammer and circlip pliers were needed. The freewheel is a direct copy of a campagnolo, with three small pawls and minute coil springs.

Re-assembly required some sockets, to use as press-in tools, and the mallet again. 30 minutes of tappity-tap and the hub is fully dis-assembled, and re-assembled. The Ti-Glide weighs 315g.

equip0062.jpg

I can't help with this but can advise that I once broke a 750 Honda clutch basket during disassembly because my engine was about 3 months later than the parts/workshop manual I was using. :roll:

Therefore the HIDDEN CIRCLIP which was stubbornly holding everything together was unknown to me as the mallet I resorted to did its deadly deed :LOL:

Jap alloy is surprisingly easy to shear.

right , where the qr goes through the axle one side should be threaded...... screw a bolt into it (any v-brake/canti mounting bolt will do) clamp the bolt head onto a vice and tap the hub away from the bolt .

well it works with the fatso hubs :oops: :D

big.eck":3pd64v84 said:
right , where the qr goes through the axle one side should be threaded...... screw a bolt into it (any v-brake/canti mounting bolt will do) clamp the bolt head onto a vice and tap the hub away from the bolt .

well it works with the fatso hubs :oops: :D

er I don't think my FatSo, Suspension or Normal front hubs or Ti-Glide rear is threaded in the axle :?

Back