question about customs

any123

Retrobike Rider
dont know if this is the right part of forum to ask question,

i have bought a klein from the usa and i want to know can i stop customs charges by marking it gift or does this custom charge apply everytime you buy from the states. surely if you buy somthing that is not for resale you should not have to pay customs.

thanks andy

Should be in general chit chat, but whether or when or how much, you will get charged is pretty much a lottery. I think it depends on who is the final destination carrier, whats on TV that night, what aspect Jupiter has etc etc.
Allow 20% of your purchase and anything less is a bonus.
But then again, what do I know?
Good luck ;)
HB

agree with Mr HB.
sometimes you're lucky but most of the time you will have a letter from parcelfarce demanding VAT, Customs and then their own little charge.
smaller items can sneak through but anything in a big box is liable to get whacked with a charge.

Strictly speaking even if you don't get charged it should be declared, otherwise its tax avoidance :shock:

that is why i asked the question because i bought a watch from a company in the states and the first i knew about it was when i tried to track it through UPS and they said it was with parcel force. well parcel force said it was stopped for customs charge but i thought it would cost just a little £5 because the watch was only $100 they charged me £58 to collect the watch. i was stunned to say the least and now i have a $800 item so they will charge me the earth. thanks guy's for the info.

thanks andy

any123":2q4b24fg said:
that is why i asked the question because i bought a watch from a company in the states and the first i knew about it was when i tried to track it through UPS and they said it was with parcel force. well parcel force said it was stopped for customs charge but i thought it would cost just a little £5 because the watch was only $100 they charged me £58 to collect the watch. i was stunned to say the least and now i have a $800 item so they will charge me the earth. thanks guy's for the info.

thanks andy

That seems rather a lot :?

A few years ago I bought a new sony car stereo for £200 from a shop in NY (these were selling for £500 in Halfords), and i recall that with shipping and the tax i paid to the parcelforce chap, the total was no more than £260.

I think that watches may be classed as a luxury item though, you need to check, there are different bands of tax.

You bought a second Klein? The Gator one was just down the road from you right? What's the second Klein look like?

Anything that is deemed to have "Commercial Value" will be liable to tax -whether you plan to sell it or not.
Everything else has pretty much already been said. Expect 20% of marked value tax + handling fees.

So far GIFT and COMMERCIAL SAMPLE have got through free in my experience.
Also, apparently if you book a "Return" with UPS that gets through free aswell as you're supposedly returning to sender... Not tried that one though.

Back