Disc brakes

spudgun

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Just fitting some disc brakes to my ride.The rear brake come as a full setup pre bled and ready to roll. However I have hose guides on my frame and was wondering how hard is it to remove the hose to thread it through the guides and reattach and bleed the brake?Also which end is easiest to undo ie the lever end or the caliper end? They're shimano deore brakes

piece of cake

If you've ever bleed brakes on the car its the same technique,

but, you will need to buy spare parts
there is a crimp olive seal that is a one use only deal

I'd cut at the lever so gravity doesn't leak all over the floor

If you're careful you should be able to undo the hose and reattach it without bleeding.

I shortened the hose on some Hayes Discs last night and had no problems. I've also done this to Magura rim and disc brakes with no issues.

- Undo the nut at the lever end - there will be some brake fluid leakage at this point, though only a small amount.
- Make sure that the end of the master cylinder/brake reservoir is facing up. Also make sure you don't press the lever at this point!
- Thread the hose through the guides on the frame.
- Cut the end of the hose to remove the compression olive.
- Put the new olive on - making sure that you have the nut and any plastic cover already on the hose (they won't fit over the olive once it's on! I know I've done this!)
- Slide the end of the hose into the brake lever and do up the nut.

Hopefully (If you've been careful) no air will have got into the system, and you won't need to bleed it.

Back