Advice needed 18" Kona will it be ok for a 5'7

urbanfireblade

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Will an 18" explosif be the best size for a 5'7 rider, 28 1/2" inside leg. I usually ride 18", 17" ideal but 18" is no problem,(19" is tho!).
anyway the standover height for the 18" Explosif is 30.3".
Where is this calculated? my 18" Lava Dome '95 measures (low to high along the top tube)27" and 31.5", and 29" mid point.
If its midpoint does that mean that a 16" frame is better suited to me? i.e 28.9" standover height.

if you usually ride 18 then im sure it;ll be fine but i think you are a bit short in the leg for 18

A wee big I would say, but I guess it is what you feel comfortable with. I'm 5'9" and 17" centre to top with about 22" top-tube is about right for me

If you can handle top tube length you'll be ok as there's 3 inches of seat tube from centre of top tube to top of seat. I'm 5' 10 and consider myself borderline between 16 and 18

I'm 5'7", normaly ride 16/17" frames but have 30" legs, for standover you may find a 16" better but as has been mentioned you may find the top tube a bit short, this can be cured by sliding the seat back on the rails and a slightly longer stem though.

for what its worth, lol

I'm 5'9- 5'10, but i have a long body long arms and little legs, i have always preferred little frames too

Well I'm just under 5'10" and need to ride ~20" retro frames, 18.5" is way too small for me really.

soon to find out if a modern '97 Kona Explosif 20" with it very long top tube is too long though... have a feeling 19" would be far better if it was for serious riding and not just pottering about to work.

Back