daj

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Hello,

I know its a bike forum but always lots of sensible advice on here

Girlfriend has just moved up from London and its time to change the motor (Dawoo Matiz) , Her new pad is right out in the sticks of the Cotswolds, Known for bad roads in ice and snow.

Sooooooo looking 4x4 budget up to 3-4k ??

We were looking at the Original Freelander but kinda getting the impression to stay away unless have 6-8k for post 2003 TD4? :?

Any ideas??

Cheers

Dave

You will get a mint 04 onwards
Honda CrV for that kinda money bud
Genuinely one of the best cars (4x4 type) you can sink your money into
We have one as a run around, bought it brand new on an 02, still going strong and NEVER let us down, been problem free.
(dont take my word for it though, just my opinion ;) :LOL: )

G

they use lots of petrol because they are heavy - you'll go from 50+ MPG from the Matiz to around 25 - 27 from the petrol 4x4 even with light use.

Consider estate cars too as they are far nicer to driver everyday:

Volvo diesel 4x4 estate cars

Subaru Forrester/ Legacy/ imprezza

Renualt Scenic 4x4

Suzuki Vitara diesels

any Audi diesel Quattro

Your missus will go on colour first, FACT.

Freelander diesels are ok but STEER CLEAR OF ANY PETROL FREELANDER :D

:D :D :D

Subaru Justy if you're looking for something small. My wife had one of the older ones (G-reg 1990) and it was superb in the snow :D Newer ones are the same body shell as the last Suzuki Swift. Example:

Subaru_Justy_purple.jpg

If you are planning on not spending much on it after the initial outlay I wouldn't have a Subaru Legacy. Don't get me wrong, its a cracking car(2.5 outback)but bloody expensive to maintain. £130+ for a cambelt kit, £200+ for rear shocks etc,etc.
If your young lady has come from a matiz you could do worse than a fiat panda 4x4, don't laugh its a cracking car and you should be able go get an 05 if not newer.
Don't get me started on Freelanders :evil: :evil: :evil:

Looks nice in silver, I had one for the wife in orange that was quite funky.
Nice if she still wants a small car but with a bit of extra grip if the going gets slippery. Alternatively you could buy a 'proper' 4x4 like a Defender :D

daj":a4fp0eaj said:
Hello,

I know its a bike forum but always lots of sensible advice on here

Girlfriend has just moved up from London and its time to change the motor (Dawoo Matiz) , Her new pad is right out in the sticks of the Cotswolds, Known for bad roads in ice and snow.

Sooooooo looking 4x4 budget up to 3-4k ??

We were looking at the Original Freelander but kinda getting the impression to stay away unless have 6-8k for post 2003 TD4? :?

Any ideas??

Cheers

Dave

As a country vet working night & day in the sticks, all year round, my advice would be -

A front wheel drive car with ESP/traction control/LSD

(and I have lived in scotland... )

If youre really concerned fit M&S tyres (mud and snow).

If the snow is so bad you need off roader clearance - well, sure everything will be closed anyway.

I once took a golf over a pennine pass in the snow, only to discover the road was closed at the other end...

subarus are very popular in rural areas for good reason :twisted:

....not just the fast ones either.

And I'm sorry to say it but avoid Land Rover unless you have mechanic skills and/or a full diagnostic unit and fat wallet :roll: Volvo est 4wd are good.

But remember 1 thing - just because you/she has 4wd - doesn't mean you can go hoorin' round icy corners and expect not to come off the road :shock: You don't stopany quicker either (sorry - 2 things) ;)

Back