Button to McLaren

Dr S

Old School Grand Master
and Rosberg to Brawn.

From Autosport...

Button closing on McLaren switch

By Edd Straw Tuesday, November 17th 2009, 09:24 GMT

World champion Jenson Button is closing on a switch to McLaren-Mercedes in a deal that should be completed later this week.

The 29-year-old Briton is understood to have emerged as a McLaren target after negotiations to bring Kimi Raikkonen back to the team stalled over pay demands.

A report in The Guardian on Tuesday said that following a visit to the team's Woking base last week, further negotiations have taken place.

Sources have confirmed to AUTOSPORT that while no deal has yet been signed, Button is likely to commit to the team within the next few days.

It is understood that the deal has not yet been agreed by Button, although with little hope of remaining at the rebranded Mercedes Grand Prix team, it is unlikely that he would turn down the chance to join one of the most successful teams in the history of the sport.

Button had been negotiating a new Brawn deal since early in the season, with talks intensifying after he clinched the world championship in the Brazilian Grand Prix on October 18.

But the team was unwilling to offer more than a £4 million a year deal, around half of what Button's management is asking. Despite Mercedes taking over the team, chief executive officer Nick Fry emphasised that nothing had changed in the Button discussions.

"I'm sorry to say, it's not going to change anything," Fry told the BBC.

"We're running with a budget that is probably less than most of the others have spent and that's what Mercedes likes. In these financially constrained times, you do have to tighten your belt.

"We've had discussions with Jenson on what we think is a sensible salary and this is not going to change anything in that respect."

Button would partner Lewis Hamilton at the team, with Mercedes considering running an all-German driver line-up.

Mercedes Motorsport boss Norbert Haug admitted last weekend that Nick Heidfeld was a possible target, and the team is understood already to have signed Nico Rosberg.

Well if they have signed Nico then bang goes the all German line up. I'd drive a F1 car for £4000,000. I wonder what the bookies are takin on Button keeping the title next year?

From Wiki
Nico Rosberg (born 27 June 1985 in Wiesbaden, West Germany) is a racing driver for the Mercedes GP Formula One team. He races under the German flag in Formula One, although he competed for Finland earlier in his career. He holds dual nationality from both countries.[1]

Rosberg won the 2005 GP2 Series for the ART team, having raced in Formula Three Euroseries previously for his father's team.

So half a German :LOL:

What makes you say that? Nico is German and they're talking to Nick Heidfeld giving them the all German line up they want.

edit: Just ignore me, I didn't read beyond the first line. :oops:

I'd drive a F1 car for £4000,000.

Hell I'd do it for a packet of crisps and a half eaten mars bar ; but only if I can choose the crisps , it would be a deal breaker .

Not sure how they would fit the manual 4 speed and xflow ; oh wait , that's formula ford isn't it :LOL:

perry":1h5woayp said:
I'd drive a F1 car for £4000,000.

Hell I'd do it for a packet of crisps and a half eaten mars bar ; but only if I can choose the crisps , it would be a deal breaker .

Not sure how they would fit the manual 4 speed and xflow ; oh wait , that's formula ford isn't it :LOL:

sorry i say that. to many zero's i should have said £4 :LOL: Any thing is better than sitting behind a desk all day :x

Button definitely not going to McLaren. Hugely publicised visit - funny that when you are trying to screw more money out of Ross Brawn....

More interesting is the way McLaren have interfered here. It really does look like they are really trying to p*ss on Mercedes bonfire with this one. Don't expect the McLaren Mercedes partnership to last beyond the end of 2010.

Button doesn't have a strong record against team mates (yes, Barrichello was plainly quicker in the second half this year) so if I were him I'd steer clear of Hamilton.

If i were him I'd get something signed quickly. Raikkonen is still on the market and if Renault decide to go that'll bring Kubica back into play.

Yeah, are people blind... Kimi was epic in a dog of a car in the second half of 09. Funny how he seemed to really crack it after Massa's injury. Despite his outward persona, I think he appreciates an arm around the shoulder sometimes!

Back