lewis1641

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Ola.my next bike is going to be a fixed gear mountain bike. I've ridden single speed for a while now and have an idea of what gear ratio suits me any my locale. The fixed project is on a tight budget so i don't want to spend loads on sprockets and chainrings getting it right. So my question to the masses is, is my preferred fixed ratio likely to be the same as my s.s. Ratio or should i go a bit higher or a bit lower? Cheers people

You'll be able to push a slightly bigger gear because the terrain is going to be a lot smoother on the road.

Fixed is all about riding smooth. Once you have the gear up and running the natural momentum will assist in keeping it ticking over.

I did a lot of track riding BITD, and because I liked it so much I used to use my fixed wheel bike for a lot of Time Trials on the road.

i thought fixed would make it harder, didnt realise it assists you, i guess not in all circumstances though!

i am planning on trying it fixed off road too. nothing too taxing to start with, theres plenty of farmers tracks and the like round here.

If you are not running a brakes I'd suggest going a little smaller in the front ring to aid with stopping.

If you are running brakes then go a little bigger as when you descend you can't free wheel and a bigger gear will allow you to descend more easily.

imo.

;]

Just make sure that you practice and get used to it before using it on busy roads. If you don't you'll end up doing what I did and holding up traffic at a major roundabout whilst getting the pedals in the right place to get going again! :oops: :LOL: :LOL:

ekiborter":1dx22cka said:
If you are not running a brakes......

In the UK a fixed wheel bike has to have at least one brake (usually the front, as the fixed wheel is classed as a brake of sorts) to be road legal.

That said virtually all the fixed wheel bikes sold by mainstream manufacturers here are fitted with 2 brakes anyway.

i'm going to have a front brake at least. will probably fit a rear if i can find a replacement rim. i'm going to set it up so i can run fixed (off a disc mount) and with a singlespeed conversion on the freewheel on the other side so i'll need a rear brake sometimes.

trouble is my rims are disc only so i need to swap them

Riding fixed wheel is really easy, it comes naturally. If you forget what your riding and go to freewheel you get a kick which immeditely reminds you. You only need a front brake, but to be honest rarely use it.

As for fixed off road.........no, dont do it, just remind yourself of the amount of times you freewheel.

For road riding I use a 69inch gear (16t rear, 42t front with 700c x 23 tyres) for general riding. It gets me up the hills on the south downs, did a hill climb riding the same gear too. You can keep up a reasonable speed on the flat but your legs to spin like windmills on the down hill.

You'll find you can pull a slightly bigger gear than you can with a free wheel, as soon as the wheel moves it starts to push your legs round, as soon as your legs move they start to push the wheels round.

Sheldon Brown has a great fixed gear calculator.

For fixed higher gear than SS as going downhill with your legs going like the clappers is not nice. On a fixie you'll attack hills anyway and thus cope with a higher gear.

Do not go offroad until you have thighs like a weight lifter and can track stand like a pro courier. Controlling the bike with your legs offroad is extremely terrifying, I've done sections of Glentress Blue route fixed, NEVER EVER AGAIN :shock: Super humans can do it, if you can jump the rear end and lock up the wheel plus are very good at balance then it is possible just not advised :LOL:

when i say off road i'm talking like wide gravel tracks, nothing technical at all. i live in the ancholme valley so it is fairly flat around here (theres about 2 big hills in a 10 mile radius)

Back