Front mech question?

Oneilboy

Devout Dirtbag
Hi Im new to this retro bike building scene. Infact its the first time Ive ever bike buolt a bike from scratch.

I just have a quick question on front mechs.

My frame is a 2001 Kona Hahanna. The tube diameter is 28.6mm and my cable routing comes from the top.

So Im guessing the front mech I need is top pull. But would it be a top or bottom swing. How do I work this out?

Sorry if it seems a dumb question, but its puzzling me.

Thanks for your help.

If the cable comes down to the front mech its is top pull, if it comes from underneath its a bottom pull

You can run either top swing or bottom swing(conventional). Top is the new fangled style, bottom is the more traditional. It mainly depends on preference, bottle mounts and if the tubing flares to an oval as it nears the bb.
Top:
50-6945-NCL-SIDE.JPG

Bottom:
bsm570g.jpg

Both are available in top or bottom pull ;)

Rule one for less headaches in not to get TOP PULL and TOP SWING confused. " Pull " denotes where the cable comes from ( top or bottom ).
Top Swing and Conventional are different TYPES of front mech.

Agency_Scum":3mzaq8pa said:
Rule one for less headaches in not to get TOP PULL and TOP SWING confused. " Pull " denotes where the cable comes from ( top or bottom ).
Top Swing and Conventional are different TYPES of front mech.
Conventional was what i was trying to think of before. I've amended my post now. I'm blaming the alcohol :LOL:

You may have trouble getting a new front mech to work on older set ups, like bigger chain rings. I've had problems with newer mechs as the cages are deeper and won't clear the bigger rings. :(

Thanks for the replies.

The frames tubing is the same diameter all the down on the seat tube. Cable routing is from the top.

I’ll be running a 42 or 44 big ring.

So general consensus is I need a top pull bottom swing mech??

Back