The mysteries of Paypal

CAS

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I understood that if you made a gift payment that Paypal didn't charge the sender. However Paypal has always charged me a transaction fee even when flagged as a gift.

Can any one shed light on this? - I've wondered if it's because I never have any money actually in the Paypal account ( I rarely sell anything!) and so it needs to get the money from the account set up as a feeder. It has also been suggested it might be because I've never had the account verified.

Would be interested to know the answer

Carol

Paypal will charge a fee if you send a payment from a credit card, this is because the card issuer charges Paypal for the payment.

If you send a gift paid either from your account balance or the current account linked to your Paypal account, there is no fee to pay.

it's best to stay away from it pp. if buying BACS is now same day.

Tallpaul":3a98u5xz said:
Paypal will charge a fee if you send a payment from a credit card, this is because the card issuer charges Paypal for the payment.

If you send a gift paid either from your account balance or the current account linked to your Paypal account, there is no fee to pay.

Ah - that's possibly the answer - it comes from my account via my debit card. I thought I'd be alright as usually debit card payments don't get charged like credit cards

Thanks

I pay mine from a debit card and there's no charge if your PayPal account is in sufficiently in credit to cover the transaction. Otherwise, yes, they fill their boots.

Is there a charge for BACS though?

If its also over a certain value you'll get charged too. £50 IIRC.

CAS":35i6cz9u said:
I understood that if you made a gift payment that Paypal didn't charge the sender. However Paypal has always charged me a transaction fee even when flagged as a gift.

Can any one shed light on this? - I've wondered if it's because I never have any money actually in the Paypal account ( I rarely sell anything!) and so it needs to get the money from the account set up as a feeder. It has also been suggested it might be because I've never had the account verified.

Would be interested to know the answer

Carol

Gift payment does charge the sender, it doesnt charge the person recieveing it ...which the normal route does.

JeRkY":2nes6f3l said:
Gift payment does charge the sender, it doesnt charge the person recieveing it ...which the normal route does.

That's what i found to :evil: no more gift payments from me

JeRkY":3cqacpug said:

Strange, I've never been charged for a Gift.

Back