Trek VRX300

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
Were Trek VRX300's circa 2002 ever considered high end, as a seller on ebay is selling one for £875 and claims it was over £2000 new.

I did not think Trek VRX bikes were considered particularly good even when new but I am very probably wrong.

Your opinions please ;)

It looks to be wearing TREK's 'high end' build package - ICON graphite parts etc. so it probably was quite a pricey bike once upon a time, sadly this does not change the fact that it is a heavy, horrible to ride POS that is worth maybe a third the Buy it Now price.

A bikes original sale price should have no bearing on its used price 10 years later.

from waht I remember of TREKs 2002 range they had already moved onto the Fuel range of FS bikes, this is mosre likely a 1999/2000 bike.

This threads been moved from MTB chat to General and Off Topic, as its about a mtb I'm just curious why they shunted me :?

As for the VRX, I have no intention to buy, I just wanted to know if I was missing something as regards this bike as I did not think they were ever high end. I wish the seller luck :D

Bikepedia shows a 1999 vrx300 at $1500, so £2k is unlikely. Think they were phased out in 2000

The VRX300 wasn't the top end bike as they had a VRX500 above that.

IIrc the 300 cost about £1300 or so but deffo not £2000. I think that even the 500 was only £1800 or there abouts anyway.

That price seems far too high for what is almost a 10 year old bike. I missed a VRX300 frame which ended on Ebay a few months ago and it went for something like £100.

Edit: I just had a look at it and it's standard spec for a 300. The seatpost and saddle aren't original (they used an Icon post - same colour as the stem - and a Bonty saddle) and neither is the rear shock as, iIrc, they all had coil shocks as standard.

He's also listed the frame size as 22". I think the largest size they made was a 20" (large). The size of that one is more like an S or M (16 or 18 ).

velomaniac":8o9bwwsw said:
This threads been moved from MTB chat to General and Off Topic, as its about a mtb I'm just curious why they shunted me :?

As for the VRX, I have no intention to buy, I just wanted to know if I was missing something as regards this bike as I did not think they were ever high end. I wish the seller luck :D

twas retro mtb section you posted in :)

Back