Crashes, smashes and bashed asses

JeRkY

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
The show us your scars thread...
If you have had a crash and lived to tell the tail, give us a story and show us the photo's. I'll leave it to the mods discression whether they want this thread and its contents or not.

Heres the result of my March Forrest of Dean poor landing after a decent jump. (I blame the modern Epic I was riding giving me fools confidence on the approach)

P1010184.jpg

Broken Collar bone, Bruised Kidney and a dose of internal bleeding.

The bruise has all gone, but a bit of swelling remains. the most permament sign of the crash now is a 1" scar from the wound under the dressing.

Crashed in the Forest of dean, Initially assessed at a cottage hospital close by then told to go to Gloucester or Oxford since I was living there at the time.

When I was in the hospital (John Radcliffe, Oxford) I kept pointing out that aswell as my collar bone feeling decidedly crapped, it also felt as though I had grazed my side. One nurse said "oh it will be superficial like the cuts on your hand".

I was told that with the pain of a bust collar bone it is common to feel sick or faint, I held it all back (till later)

It was ages until some one lifed my T shirt up to investigate, at which point they had me peeing into a bottle and ordering an emergency ultrasound.

They never actually got around to dressing the wound on my back. After being discharged late at night a mate gave me a lift home, I made it to bed and woke up attached at the wound to the dressing.

Made it to the ensuite after peeling myself off the bed and then flaked out on my way back. Getting up off the ground with a side full of congeled blood and a broken collar bone was not easy. Probably took me best part of 2 hours to summon the strength and grit my teeth.

Whilst I was on the floor pondering if I should add painting the cieling to the chors list I missed a call on my mobile, tantilisingly just out of reach on my bedside table.

Virtually as soon as I managed to get up it wrang again, Serious case of mothers intuition, her words were "we are on the M1 , be with you in 2 hours" I was very happy to see my familly :)

After a quick parental med-evac to my folks house in Leeds I spent the next 2 weeks being looked after :)

To add to it all though, the initial collar bone break was perfectly alligned, I was told if your going to break it do it like that, it will heal fast and be almost unnoticeable. Sadly 1 week into my r&r after a bath I managed to dislodge this position and ended up in a&e again after effectivly re-breaking it.

Still got some good photos! and also learned my mates (most of em atleast) are absolute heroes in getting me and my kit out of the forrest and back home, sitting with me for hours in a&e. seeing one of my pals actually crap himself running around looking for me after he had been informed I needed an emergency ultrasound. Its weird but its times like that you see how good your friends are!

This would be my oldest son (13) after taking a jump a bit fast while snowboarding. It hurts worse when it's your child.......

0222091719-1.jpg

I havent seen a 'shows yer injuries' thread for quite a while.I think one of the mags bitd had a section dedicated to it,and there was some crackers :cool:

Hmm , I'll try to remember them in order

As a yoof I was riding on a building site next to some footings when I came to a rock I couldn't pedal over , stuck out my left foot ( the footing was on the left too ) and yep the ground gave up and I fell in . One broken wrist and the indignity of having my bike fall on me . That place is now a bike shop .

I've broken a hand when I got a bit too close to a wall and clipped it , was on a ride with a load of people and carried on until my hand couldn't grip the bar anymore as it was too swollen .

Broke an elbow hopping up a wall not long after getting suspenshion forks , I didn't take into account the preload so clipped the front wheel and landed on my elbow and slid a bit on my chin ; mate said he could see bone :LOL: I still have a scar on both my chin and elbow some 9 years on , they also click once in a while too :LOL:

Scar on my eyebrow , can't remember how I did it but I remember holding it together with a bit of tape , I have less of a scar from that than the ones done by professionals .

I still have a few sizeable chunks of skin missing from my shin , I have lots of scars on my shins but these ones are particularly noticeable ; slipped pedal gouged some skin off the middle of the shin and then dug in just below the knee .

I also have a lump on my shin bone , mustave broken a bit off at some point :LOL:

Put my back out about 6 years ago coming up short on a jump , clipped the rear wheel and got thrown forward and landed in a seated position on the downslope and jarred my back , couldn't move or breathe for a while until I heard a mate calmly saying " take small breaths " . count sit or stand for a week , the only comfortable position was lying on my side . it's taken a few years to get the strength back so it doesn't constantly ache .

Broke a little toe when I clipped a fallen tree in a turn .

Broke 3 fingers going uphill when my chain dropped and threw me over the bars ; still rode the 10 miles back to the car , rather rapidly though as I knew from breaking my hand that it wouldn't be long before I lost the ability to hold the bars , put the bike in the back of the car and drove to the hospital . the doc didn't believe I broke them when he felt them . Turns out I have a high threshold for pain because when they feel the supposed break they are gauging reaction and I wasn't giving one :LOL: I knew they were broken , no point making a fuss about it :LOL:

I think thats about it , I know how to fall so nothing too bad other than my crappy body not being able to take impacts .

my now infamous 'on the forum while waiting for a lift to A&E' incident back in February

angle grinder thru' the tendons as opposed to tiptoing thru' the daisies

abcd0008_4361_135.jpg

My collar bone after a stupid accident in the Alps. Had just completed the World cup black run down to Chatel on a rented I-drive 5.0 and managed to go over the handlebars at about 10 miles an hour breaking my collar bone into 3 bits, (2 big, 1 small).

Attachments

• Collar bone.jpg
    Collar bone.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 662
:x Those look pretty worn out pants you got on :shock:

Pickle aint the only one to feel ill ;)

One broken collar bone 10 years ago, and one broken and dislocated finger last year (at the Wobble) :?

Back