So back to GMT now, should we stay on BST?

Should we stay on BST (British Summer Time)?

• Yes, stay on BST to have more daylight in the evenings

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, move back to GMT to have lighter morning

• Not bothered

• Total voters

Easy_Rider

Retrobike Rider
OWMTBC Champ
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Today really must be the marker of the end of summer and the dawn of the long winter months, the evening will draw in surprisingly quick tonight!

So what are your thoughts, should we stay on BST all year?

Anybody remember that program about the experimental run of staying on BST (in the 60's i think) but there was a horrific accident with a bus and a load of school kids in Scotland, on a dark morning, so we went back to GMT for the winter months.... but there are stories that that was all a hoax?

So if the argument is for kids going to school, how many still walk to school, and aren't our street lightings much better now? Or is the argument for the farmers?

In the far north it will be dark by 3.30pm on GMT In December but 4.30 on BST but would not be light till after 9am i think...

We should stay on GMT all year our correct time.

If people want schools to be 'alleged' safer then the school can alter it's time, as can other places if they deem it important for 'elf & safety reasons or other silly reasons to stay on BST.

going over to 'double summer time' (CET) means sunrise after 9am in December/ January. Having spent time in France, this came as a bit of a shock looking at the watch at 8.45am and it still pitch black.

I like the longer day light in the evening. After all that's when most are up and about. I'm still in bed in the morning. So a lighter morning is no good.

I was tellin my freinds who are from South East Asia that we change the clocks twice a year and they looked at like i was bonkers , took them a while to belive me :?

Mattythemod":gnyepdod said:
I was tellin my freinds who are from South East Asia that we change the clocks twice a year and they looked at like i was bonkers , took them a while to belive me :?

Yup - no time change out here in Singapore. Light at 7am, dark at 7pm.

Miss those long, balmy Summer evenings (both of them!)

As WW2 is now over, we can surely dispense with this lunacy of meddling with the clocks...

I believe it was introduced to help with the blackout...

Anyhow, I prefer BST but I function better on GMT.

I'd wager that if we were to pick one we'd all adjust within a season and then I'd not set the alarm for the wrong time on a Sunday twice a year. There is no justifiable getting-the-harvest-in/school-bus-crash/war-time-blackout reason for all the faff.

Back