What flavour Linux for my Laptop?

Easy_Rider

Retrobike Rider
OWMTBC Champ
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Decided to install Linux on my laptop which is a few years old and I only use it for internet in the lounge. It's P4 2.66Ghz and I think 256mb RAM.

I have used OpenSuse on my main desktop and have flirted with SLAX which i think is a little light, plus I can't get the wireless to work with it anyway.

So what flavour would you guys go for?

I'm no expert, far from it but i'm running ubuntu on my low spec laptop and its pretty good

Hmm.

Puppy flies on almost anything, and will probably work best out of the box.

Mint has a bit more polish, but needs a quicker machine.

Blag if you want to have Linux for ideological reasons.

All other things considered, I'd choose Puppy for a laptop. You'll be working in minutes.

im running Ubuntu, works a treat on my Advent 4211 aka Msi Wind U100, but always good to check the support for your wifi card before hand, i replaced mine, just so it works out of the box, with both windows and Linux

Thanks for the replies guys, i'll check through them and see which ones support the Belkin wireless card out of the box. :D

You wont go far wrong with ubuntu . It has a lot of support ( latest release is due very shortly ) and is very first time user friendly .

Ive tried puppy and damn small linux briefly and found them a tad confusing , too much going on onscreen .

At worst it'll cost you a disc to try a live cd of a distro that takes your fancy .

perry":20uc9i75 said:
At worst it'll cost you a disc to try a live cd of a distro that takes your fancy .

and a couple of hours of wasted time :roll:

Went for Ubuntu in the end, but the laptop screen just goes blank when switching to the GUI, and i've tried the safe graphics mode too. If there is no "quick fix" then i'll just dump Ubuntu (bit annoying cuz i have 10gb monthly limit and that was 0.7gb wasted :roll: )

Latest posts

Back