Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:33 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:35 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:23 am
Posts: 15608
part of the reason that there job isn't as crappy as the others you mention is because they have a union that looks after them- what's your argument, let them get as badly treated/paid as the other folks do and then and only then, we can sorry for them and back them? All workers should have the "right" to protect there working conditions and have a descent working wage- simple as.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:43 pm 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:45 pm
Posts: 10945
Location: kent
totally agree with you .

we should all be equal in terms of working conditions and rights .

but , in farming for example , we all want cheap food . if all farm workers in this country were paid minimum wage and had pension , etc... , the price of food would vastly increase .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:49 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:23 am
Posts: 15608
And your damn right about chicken farming- worst job I've ever done in my life, still get flashbacks when I pass the local place and get that "smell" arrrgh!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:51 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:48 am
Posts: 6980
Location: Bristle
clockworkgazz wrote:
cce wrote:
postmen seem to forget that their job is basically low level manual labour.


I'm quite sure you do a job that is wonderful and worthy unlike the rest of the plebs but you should work on your social skills and your point reallyb says nothing.

Are you really saying that only "worthy" jobs should have rights for worker :evil:


it is not to suggest that basic manual labour is in anyway less worthy. But it is to suggest that for a job where the only real skills are walking and reading, they are paid really very well indeed....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:56 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:33 pm
Posts: 723
Location: Highlands
clockworkgazz wrote:
All workers should have the "right" to protect there working conditions and have a descent working wage- simple as.


Again... do you have any idea what part of the RM workers' pay and conditions isn't decent? Because I certainly can't see it, and it seems that most RM staff don't see it either. At my wife's delivery office there are precisely zero staff striking... they are reasonably paid for what they do and about the only part of their conditions that I see as even slightly draconian is the handling of time off sick.

Still, the unions and their more vocal members are managing to reduce any miniscule amount of public support they might have had and are making themselves look like fools (since they don't seem to be fighting any particular point of common contention, and a large number of staff (including union members) are carrying on regardless.) The sooner they leave and provide a job opportunity for someone of a more suitable disposition the better - if they're really so hard done by they should easily find a more cushy job elsewhere.

I work for myself; if I don't get just on with it I don't have any income. I get almost no holidays (never a complete uninterrupted week off, and definitely less than a fortnight in the year) - we would all like better holidays, more pay, less stress etc but I'm grateful enough to be able to pay my own bills without sponging off the state... if I don't do my job, there will certainly be a competitor spring up to do it instead.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:05 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:23 am
Posts: 15608
I give up on you lot really- "I work for myself- I don't get holidays- left wing socialist agitators - country is going to the dogs"- why not give yourself a break and become postman if you have it so tough, they have such great jobs after all- you only need to walk and read and not even at the same time- I'm doing a harry Burgundy on this thread........


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:08 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:34 pm
Posts: 26178
Location: Moomin Valley
awwwwww....


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:11 pm 
North Wales AEC / OWMTBC 2010 Champion
North Wales AEC / OWMTBC 2010 Champion
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 10:13 pm
Posts: 6066
Location: Chester
clockworkgazz wrote:
part of the reason that there job isn't as crappy as the others you mention is because they have a union that looks after them- what's your argument, let them get as badly treated/paid as the other folks do and then and only then, we can sorry for them and back them? All workers should have the "right" to protect there working conditions and have a descent working wage- simple as.


I used to ride past a chicken farm, the smell is disgusting, although i never had a job in the factory, i was very very close to taking one years ago.

I keep asking what rights they are protecting because i genuinly don't know, i'm not trying to make a point, I would just like someone to explain it to me, why are they striking? What's happened that's so bad that they have to disrupt what i would consider a public service? Pretend i've only just landed on planet earth.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:16 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:34 pm
Posts: 26178
Location: Moomin Valley
cup of calming kitten anyone?

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:18 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:23 am
Posts: 15608
legrandefromage wrote:
awwwwww....


Image


:lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kerplunk, rc200ti and 41 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group