Head boffins...of the car kind..help pls

Easy_Rider

Retrobike Rider
OWMTBC Champ
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Currently rebuilding a 205GTi head for the Mrs' car. Measured the head and there is 2 thou dip between 3 and 4 uniform across the head.
Is this acceptable?

Head has been skimmed to it's limit really already.

Cheers.

excuse my complete ignorance but wouldnt a reinforced head gasket make up for the head skimming (and if my ignorance is correct) reduce the compresion?

I'm sure there is enough meat in it to take off a few more thou. Higher compression ratio wont harm (my Alfa is running 11.5:1 ratio no probs). You might need a vernier cam sprocket to get the cam timing back spot on.

Yep, it would.

The head has been skimmed twice in the past, probably 8 years ago now when it was in my car. I have no idea how much was taken off at the time.

When i replced mine with an Mi16 :twisted: i kept this engine as a spare, which is now coming in for the Mrs' car as her head is on its way.

It has been skimmed recently (so now that's 3 times), the burly agry looking chaps said it's had a "heavy" skim as it was "right bellied" and didn't tell me how much despite me asking.

So basically, I don't want to get it skimmed again and wondering if 2 thou is acceptable and be taken up by the gasket or have i wasted the 50quid they charged me :(

Easy_Rider":1hwgdaf0 said:
Currently rebuilding a 205GTi head for the Mrs' car. Measured the head and there is 2 thou dip between 3 and 4 uniform across the head.
Is this acceptable?

Head has been skimmed to it's limit really already.

Cheers.

i'd say it's time for the bin......... 1 thou would proberly seal . you could try it , soft french metal and all thet :LOL: :LOL:

Dr S":3ovf1ay3 said:
I'm sure there is enough meat in it to take off a few more thou. Higher compression ratio wont harm (my Alfa is running 11.5:1 ratio no probs). You might need a vernier cam sprocket to get the cam timing back spot on.

11.5:1 :cool:

The Pug is std 9.5:1 and while it would be nice to increase the compression ratio, i'm not sure that the 130k mile bottom end would like it without some new shells. We're just trying to increase the life of her car until she can afford a new one at the mo.

I'm a bit annoyed at the engine place though, first time i've used them. I just droppeed the head in and asked them how flat it was and wether it was worth a skim (as i suspected it was pooped). A few days later they had skimmed it without talking to me. Only just decided to measure it now a few weeks later. Wasted 50 retro tokens...

Thanks for your help chaps :cool:

Just read the post over again :LOL: :oops:

where i said "yep it would" that was in agreement to LGF, but it looks like I was saying higher compression will harm the car in disagreement to Dr S post :oops:

I was still typing when you posted Si, my fumble fingers.

Easy_Rider":v92wgo8u said:
Just read the post over again :LOL: :oops:

where i said "yep it would" that was in agreement to LGF, but it looks like I was saying higher compression will harm the car in disagreement to Dr S post :oops:

I was still typing when you posted Si, my fumble fingers.

No worries, I figured that at the time.

Si, still one finger typing after all these years :oops:

Easy_Rider":24cx96yy said:
i'm not sure that the 130k mile bottom end would like it without some new shells. We're just trying to increase the life of her car until she can afford a new one at the mo.

They are tough old motors mind, a mate of mine had a 1.6 GTI with 190 odd on the clock, motor was untouched besides regular servicing and oil changes, was still on it's original clutch though the mileage was mainly motorway, it was his cousins car from new so he knew the history, he put another 20,000 on the clock and it was still going like a rocket.

Back